COUNTY OF ALBEMARLE
Albemarle County Department of Social Services Workload Update
Summary Indicators of the Department of Social Services Workload for July – September, 2009
Messrs Tucker, Elliot, Davis and Ms. Ralston
LEGAL REVIEW: Yes
December 2, 2009
ACTION: INFORMATION: x
In the Fall of 2008, the Board requested that the Department of Social Services (ACDSS) provide a periodic summary of workload indicators due to the continuing economic conditions and resulting impact on the Department’s programs. The Board specifically requested to see caseload information for Benefits programs as well as a multi-year trend of caseload growth and the impact of overtime resulting from this growth. ACDSS presented its first report to the Board on April 1, 2009. The data presented in this report are for the quarter ending September 30, 2009.
Goal 1: Enhance Quality of Life for all Citizens
Strategy 1.3 - Increase the ability of those individuals and families, who are living in lower income households, to become self-sufficient.
The following graphical information is provided:
· Attachment A – Applications and case trends for Benefits programs as well as Child Protective, Foster Care and Adult and Adult Protection Services programs;
· Attachment B – Workload Measures for Benefits programs, as well as Adult, Child Care, Child Protection, Foster Care and Adoption Services programs; and
· Attachment C – Overtime hours and overtime payouts for selected programs
The number of applications and active (open) cases in the Benefits programs continues to rise. Additionally, the number of on-going Child Protective Services cases continues to grow. Employee workloads remain above state standards.
ACDSS has witnessed the following changes in workload from September 2008 to September 2009:
· Food Stamp Applications: increase of 41%
· Medicaid Applications: increase of 34%
· Food Stamp Active Cases: increase of 41%
· TANF Active Cases: increase of 36%
· Medicaid Active Clients: increase 14%
· On-going CPS Cases: increase of 6%
· Adult Services: decrease of 10%
Since the last report to the Board in August 2009 the following changes in workload have occurred from the close of FY 09 to the close of FY 2010 Quarter 1:
The Executive Summary is for the Board’s information only.
Attachment A – Trends of Applications and Cases
Attachment B – Trends of Workloads
Attachment C – Overtime Information
Return to consent agenda
Return to regular agenda