COUNTY OF ALBEMARLE
FY 2010 Budget Amendment
Public Hearing on the Proposed FY 2010 Budget Amendment in the amount of $22,088,773.88 and request approval of Budget Amendment and Appropriations #2010025, #2010026, #2010027, #2010028, #2010029, #2010030, #2010031, #2010032, #2010033, #2010034, #2010035, and #2010036 to provide funding for various local government, school, and capital programs.
Messrs. Tucker, Foley, Davis, Wiggans, and Letteri
LEGAL REVIEW: Yes
October 7, 2009
ACTION: X INFORMATION:
Virginia Code § 15.2-2507 provides that any locality may amend its budget to adjust the aggregate amount to be appropriated during the fiscal year as shown in the currently adopted budget; provided, however, any such amendment which exceeds one percent of the total expenditures shown in the currently adopted budget must be accomplished by first publishing a notice of a meeting and holding a public hearing before amending the budget. The Code section applies to all County funds, i.e., General Fund, Capital Funds, E911, School Self-Sustaining, etc.
The total of the new requested FY 2010 appropriations, itemized below, is $22,088,773.88. Because the cumulative amount of the appropriations exceeds one percent of the currently adopted budget, a budget amendment public hearing is required.
Goal 5: Develop a comprehensive funding strategy/plan to address the County’s growing needs.
The proposed increase of this FY 2010 Budget Amendment totals $22,088,773.88. The estimated expenses and revenues included in the proposed amendment are shown below:
General Fund $ 969,155.03
Special Revenue Funds $ 802,423.20
School Funds $ 10,000.00
School Program Funds $ 28,354.81
Emergency Communication Center Funds $ 84,000.00
Capital Improvements Funds $ 19,299,803.52
Storm Water Fund $ 895,037.32
TOTAL ESTIMATED EXPENDITURES – All Funds $ 22,088,773.88
Local Revenues (Fees, Contributions, Donations) $ 11,327.00
State Revenue $ 50,834.95
Federal Revenue $ 641,633.59
Loan Proceeds $ 11,243,278.54
General Fund Balance $ 968,453.03
Other Fund Balances $ 9,173,246.77
TOTAL ESTIMATED REVENUES – All Funds $ 22,088,773.88
The budget amendment is comprised of twelve (12) separate appropriations as follows:
· Two (2) appropriations (#2010025 and #2010034) totaling $38,979.81 for various education programs and grants;
· One (1) appropriation (#2010026) totaling $371,623.20, reappropriating grant and seized asset funds;
· One (1) appropriation (#2010027) totaling $84,000.00, reappropriating ECC projects;
· One (1) appropriation (#2010028) totaling $702,743.42 reappropriating uncompleted local government projects from FY09;
· One (1) appropriation (#2010029) totaling $16,000.00 from the Board’s contingency to adjust the overtime budget for fire/rescue;
· One (1) appropriation (#2010030) totaling $14,080,067.81, reappropriating general government capital projects;
· One (1) appropriation (#2010031) totaling $5,219,110.71, reappropriating school capital projects;
· One (1) appropriation (#2010032) totaling $895,037.32, reappropriating storm water capital projects;
· One (1) appropriation (#2010033) totaling $266,411.61, reappropriating outstanding purchase orders from FY09;
· One (1) appropriation (#2010035) moving $3,000.00 from the Board’s contingency to General Services for enforcement of the Uncontrolled Vegetation Ordinance; and
· One (1) appropriation (#2010036) to distribute $430,800.00 from the Crozet Crossing Trust Fund to Crozet Meadows and Treesdale Park.
A detailed description of these requests is provided on Attachment A.
Staff recommends approval of the FY 2010 Budget Amendment in the amount of $22,088,773.88 after the public hearing, and then approval of Appropriations #2010025, #2010026, #2010027, #2010028, #2010029, #2010030, #2010031, #2010032, #2010033, #2010034, #2010035, and #2010036 to provide funds for various local government and school projects and programs as described in Attachment A.
Attachment A – Description of Appropriations
Return to regular agenda