COUNTY OF ALBEMARLE
Towe Park Tenant House Lease
Public Hearing to consider approval of a Darden Towe Park tenant house lease agreement.
Messrs. Tucker, Elliott, Davis, Herrick and Mullaney
LEGAL REVIEW: Yes
September 9, 2009
ACTION: X INFORMATION:
The City and County jointly own a house located at Darden Towe Park which is leased at a reduced rate in exchange for tenants providing approximately 50 hours of park maintenance and security tasks each month. Earlier this year, the City and the County were notified by the existing tenants that they did not desire to renew their lease and the availability of this rental property was publically advertised for two weekends in July in the Charlottesville Daily Progress. Two parties responded to the advertisement and interviews were conducted by City and County Parks and Recreation staff. Based upon the outcome of these interviews, the Parks and Recreation Department is recommending that the City and County enter into a lease agreement with Ms. Doraine Glidden and Ms. Shelia McMillian.
Goal 1: Enhance the Quality of Life for all Citizens.
Goal 2: Protect the County’s Natural Resources.
Under the proposed lease, the tenants would be responsible to pay $620 monthly rent to the County and all utility bills, and to perform the following duties:
· Assure that the park entrance gates, greenbelt gate, and restrooms are opened and closed at posted times and upon special requests;
· Assure that park visitors leave the park at posted closing times;
· During closing rounds, pick up loose litter and check restrooms for maintenance or plumbing issues, and correct or advise park personnel as necessary;
· Assist the public with information, as needed;
· Clean and stock restrooms and clean-up and remove trash from parking lots and playing areas on days when park employees are not scheduled to work;
· In the absence of park personnel, perform emergency repair(s) or maintenance of park facilities and grounds, to the extent possible, and contact park personnel;
· In the absence of park personnel, enforce field closures, and unauthorized use of athletic fields and park areas; and
· Mow and trim grass around the tenant house, as outlined by the Park Foreman.
The initial term of the lease is for one year, beginning October 1, 2009, followed by up to four additional one-year terms. The monthly rent for the initial year would remain at $620 per month (determined after review by the County Assessor’s Office) and could be adjusted to reflect any change in tenant responsibilities. The proposed lease has been reviewed and approved by the County Attorney. Virginia Code Section 15.2 – 1800(B) requires that the Board of Supervisors hold a public hearing prior to entering into this lease agreement. The Clerk of the Board has advertised the hearing as required. City Council is scheduled to consider the proposed Lease Agreement on September 21, 2009.
It is expected that the lease will generate $7,440 in annual income. In addition, having the tenants perform the listed duties is much more efficient than having County employees perform these tasks.
Staff recommends that the Board, after the public hearing, approve the attached proposed lease agreement and authorize the County Executive to sign the lease agreement.
A – Towe Park Tenant House Lease Agreement
Return to regular agenda