COUNTY OF ALBEMARLE
FY 2010 Budget Amendment
Public Hearing on the Proposed FY 2010 Budget Amendment in the amount of $3,848,351.19 and request approval of Budget Amendment and Appropriations #2010023 and #2010024 to provide funding for various local government and school programs.
Messrs. Tucker, Foley and Wiggans
LEGAL REVIEW: No
September 9, 2009
ACTION: X INFORMATION:
Virginia Code § 15.2-2507 stipulates that any locality may amend its budget to adjust the aggregate amount to be appropriated during the fiscal year as shown in the currently adopted budget; provided, however, any such amendment which exceeds one percent of the total expenditures shown in the currently adopted budget must be accomplished by first publishing a notice of a meeting and holding a public hearing before amending the budget. The Code section applies to all County funds, i.e., General Fund, Capital Funds, E911, School Self-Sustaining, etc.
The total of the new requested FY 2010 appropriations, itemized below, is $3,848,351.19. Because the cumulative amount of the appropriations exceeds one percent of the currently adopted budget, a budget amendment public hearing is required.
Goal 5: Develop a comprehensive funding strategy/plan to address the County’s growing needs.
The proposed increase of this FY 2010 Budget Amendment totals $3,848,351.19. The estimated expenses and revenues included in the proposed amendment are shown below:
General Fund $ 831,453.00
Special Revenue Funds $ 113,138.00
School Program Funds $ 1,534,988.19
Capital Improvements Fund $ 1,312,902.00
Emergency Communication Center Funds $ 55,870.00
TOTAL ESTIMATED EXPENDITURES – All Funds $ 3,848,351.19
Local Revenues (Fees, Contributions, Donations) $ 43,458.50
State Revenue $ 133,446.00
Federal Revenue $ 2,622,126.19
Other Fund Balances $ 1,049,320.50
TOTAL ESTIMATED REVENUES – All Funds $ 3,848,351.19
The budget amendment is comprised of seven (7) separate appropriations, five (5) of which were recommended for approval by staff at the Board’s September 2, 2009 meeting.
Recommended for approval on September 2, 2009:
· One (1) appropriation (#2010018) transferring $91,000.00 for road and drainage improvements to Sun Ridge Road;
· One (1) appropriation (#2010019) totaling $113,138.00 for a Community Policing grant;
· One (1) appropriation (#2010020) totaling $55,870.00 for grants to replace equipment at the Emergency Communications Center;
· One (1) appropriation (#2010021) totaling $831,453.00 to change the way the Office of Facilities Development is funded; and
· One (1) appropriation (#2010022) totaling $1,535,463.19 for various school programs and grants.
The two (2) new appropriations are as follows:
· One (1) appropriation (#2010023) reappropriating $1,195,760.00 for uncompleted general government capital projects; and
· One (1) appropriation (#2010024) reappropriating $116.667.00 for uncompleted school capital projects.
A detailed description of these requests is provided on Attachment A.
Staff recommends approval of the FY 2010 Budget Amendment in the amount of $3,848,351.19 after the public hearing, and then approval of Appropriations #2010023 and #2010024 to provide funds for various local government and school projects and programs as described in Attachment A.
Attachment A – Description of Appropriations
Return to regular agenda