COUNTY OF ALBEMARLE
SP 2008-07 Lebanon Evangelical Presbyterian Church
Bring existing church and cemetery into conformance with the zoning ordinance and construct new storage building
LEGAL REVIEW: No
June 11, 2008
ACTION: x INFORMATION:
On May 13, 2008, the Planning Commission recommended approval of SP 2008-07 with the conditions recommended by staff, including a condition to address concerns regarding outdoor lighting. The following evening the Board of Supervisors, upon staff’s suggestion, agreed to a change in the standard Rural Areas condition of approval regarding outdoor lighting with the following condition to be applied to future Rural Areas applications:
All outdoor lighting shall be only full cut-off fixtures and shielded to reflect light away from all abutting properties. A lighting plan limiting light levels at all property lines to no greater than 0.3 foot candles shall be submitted to the Zoning Administrator or their designee for approval.
Representatives of Lebanon Evangelical Church have advised staff that they do not intend to have lights on the exterior of the new storage building (which has created the need for this special use permit). The proposed lighting condition would apply to the entire church, including the storage building. As such, the condition would require a lighting plan for the total church property. While staff has included the condition as requested by the Board, the Board may not want to apply it in this case considering the limited extent of improvements that have necessitated this special use permit.
Staff and the Planning
Commission have recommended approval of this special use permit with five
conditions, including an outdoor lighting condition which has been modified
since the Planning Commission public hearing (as noted below) to reflect the
Board’s intent. Should the Board feel that the condition regarding outdoor
lighting is excessive considering the circumstances it should remove condition
#5 as part of its action.
Recommended conditions of approval:
1. Special Use Permit SP 2008-07 Lebanon Presbyterian Church shall be developed in general accord with the concept application plan, provided by the applicant and received February 11, 2008 (Attachment A.) However, the Zoning Administrator may approve revisions to the concept application plan to allow conformance with the Zoning Ordinance.
2. The color of the storage building shall be brown and the roof color shall be charcoal, as agreed by the applicant.
3. There shall be no day care center or private school on site without prior approval of a separate special use permit.
4. There shall not be an increase in the sanctuary without prior approval of an amendment to this special use permit.
5. All outdoor lighting shall be only full cut-off fixtures and shielded to reflect light away from all abutting properties. A lighting plan limiting light levels at all property lines to no greater than 0.3 foot candles shall be submitted to the Zoning Administrator or their designee for approval.
SP 2008-07 Lebanon Presbyterian Church Staff Report
Return to PC actions letter