December 21, 2007
Susan Kogut, Executive Director
Albemarle Society For The Prevention Of Cruelty To Animals Inc
3355 Berkmar Drive
Charlottesville, VA 22901
RE: SP2007-00044 Charlottesville Albemarle SPCA (Sign # 74)
TAX MAP/PARCEL: 45-86
Dear Ms. Kogut:
The Albemarle County Planning Commission, at its meeting on December 11, 2007, recommended approval by a vote of 7:0, of the above-noted petition to the Board of Supervisors.
Please note that this approval is subject to the following conditions:
1. Planning Department approval of a tree conservation plan for the areas located along the Berkmar Drive road frontage in order to preserve existing trees and provide shade and shelter for people and animals.
2. An evergreen screen consisting of a double row of trees planted 15’ on center, to conform with ordinance requirements, shall be provided between the dog pens and the adjacent residential property.
3. Fundraising activities and other special events shall not occur unless a zoning clearance has been issued by the Department of Community Development.
4. The site shall be developed in accord with the attached site plan entitled “Charlottesville/Albemarle S.P.C.A. ZMA 2000-005, SP 2000-022, Revised November 6, 2007.”
5. Animals may be walked and/or exercised outside only between the hours of 8:00 am and 7:00 pm. While animals are outside, they must be supervised.
6. Uses shall be limited to an animal shelter and a veterinary hospital with associated offices only.
7. Fencing shall be of the material identified and installed in the locations shown on the plan entitled “Charlottesville/Albemarle S.P.C.A. ZMA 2000-005, SP 2000-022, Revised November 6, 2007.”
Action on the Waivers:
The motion of approval of the waivers to the 500-foot setback and solid fencing regulations and to the 20-foot residential setback requirement passed by a vote of 7:0.
View executive summary and attachments
View Staff report and attachments
View PC minutes
Return to regular agenda
Please be advised that the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors will review this petition and receive public comment at their meeting on January 9, 2008.
If you should have any questions or comments regarding the above noted action, please do not hesitate to contact me at (434) 296-5832.
Judith C. Wiegand, AICP