COUNTY OF ALBEMARLE
Department of Community Development
401 McIntire Road, North Wing
Charlottesville, Virginia 22902-4596
Phone (434) 296-5832 Fax (434) 972-4012
October 17, 2007
Neal R. Deputy
134 10th Street N.W.
Charlottesville, VA 22903
RE: ARB-2007-80: Montessori Community School - Final Review of a Site Development Plan
Tax Map 78, Parcel 12A
Dear Mr. Deputy:
The Albemarle County Architectural Review Board, at its meeting on October 1, 2007, reviewed the above-noted request for a Certificate of Appropriateness. By a vote of 3:0 the Board unanimously denied the petition as submitted and provided the applicant with the following comments and suggestions for recommended revisions to the proposal:
1) Revise the form of the classroom building to be compatible with the forms and features of the significant historic buildings of the County and, particularly, the on-site Administration Building.
2) Specify a parge color on the drawings. Revise the proposal to better coordinate the colors of the “Envirosafe” elements with the revised brick red color scheme.
3) Provide the landscape plan as part of the official site plan, not a hand-drawn document.
4) Revise the landscape plan to a design that will achieve a character suited to the surrounding urban area.
5) Show on the plan the easement associated with the overhead electric line along the Route 250 side of the property. Indicate the height of the electric line.
6) Revise the plans to include existing conditions and demolition for Phase 1. Include a conservation checklist on the plan. Show tree protection on the landscape plan, grading plan, and E&S plan.
7) Delete the poorly performing forsythia and juniper from the Rolkin Road planting and replace with plants that will perform better at this site under the existing conditions.
8) If meadow mix is retained in the landscape design, specify the percentage of each plant type in the meadow mix. Indicate the proposed planting technique. Provide a maintenance schedule (fertilizer, watering, feeding, weeding, mowing/topping, etc.) to show how the meadow mix will continually have an appropriate appearance. Include this information on the site plan. Provide examples of existing successful meadow mix plantings on hillsides.
9) Provide large shade trees along the EC frontage outside the electric easement. Spacing may differ from the standard 35’ on center EC spacing, but size and quantity guidelines should be met.
10) Clarify the location of the bioswale on the grading and landscape plans. Include and identify the boardwalks and paths on the site plan. Coordinate the biofilter in the northeast corner of the playground with all other site elements and all plans.
11) Provide on the site plan and for review the details of the design for the new fence.
12) Add a note to the site plan indicating that the existing chain link fence will be removed by December 1, 2008.
13) Delete note 6 under Phase 1 Stage 2 on Sheet SP1 regarding painting the chain link fence.
14) Correct note 5 under Phase 1 Stage 2 on Sheet SP1 regarding the perimeter wall.
15) Make the grading legible on the landscape plan. Coordinate grading and tree removal. Eliminate grading within the drip line of trees to remain.
16) Submit complete information on all proposed site and building lighting for review. If no external building lights are proposed, indicate this in writing.
This decision may be appealed to the Board of Supervisors within ten (10) calendar days of the decision.
If you should have any questions or comments regarding the above noted action, please do not hesitate to contact me at (434) 296-5832.
Go to next attachment
Return to exec summary