Albemarle County Planning Commission
February 20, 2007
The Albemarle County Planning Commission held a meeting, work session and a public hearing on Tuesday, February 20 2007, at 6:00 p.m., at the County Office Building Auditorium, Second Floor, 401 McIntire Road, Charlottesville, Virginia. Members attending were Eric Strucko, Calvin Morris, Vice-Chairman; Jon Cannon, Marcia Joseph, Chairman; Bill Edgerton and Duane Zobrist. Absent was Pete Craddock. Julia Monteith, Senior Land Use Planner for the University of Virginia, representative for David J. Neuman, FAIA, Architect for University of Virginia was present.
Other officials present were Wayne Cilimberg, Planning Director; Amelia McCulley, Director of Zoning & Current Development/Zoning Administrator; Brenda Neitz, Budget Analyst and Melvin Breeden, Director, of the Office of Management and Budget; Patrick Lawrence, Planner; Rebecca Ragsdale, Senior Planner; Summer Frederick, Senior Planner; Sean Dougherty, Senior Planner; David E. Pennock, Senior Planner; Scott Clark, Senior Planner; Judy Wiegand, Senior Planner and Greg Kamptner, Deputy County Attorney.
Call to Order and Establish Quorum:
Ms. Joseph called the regular meeting to order at 6:00 p.m. and established a quorum.
Public Hearing Items:
At the staff’s request, the Commission deferred SP-2006-00042, Charlottesville Day School – Amendment to hear SP-2006-00041, Gray Television first.
SP 2006-00041, Gray Television (Signs # 62 & 64)
PROPOSED: Amendment to conditions of SP 2005-014 in order to allow placement of one additional antenna on an existing tower and to allow greater flexibility for future anticipated changes
ZONING CATEGORY/GENERAL USAGE: RA, Rural Area - Agriculture, Single Family (incl. modular homes)
SECTION: 10.2.2 (6) Special Use Permit, which allows for "Electrical power substations, transmission lines and related towers; gas or oil transmission lines, pumping stations and appurtenances, unmanned telephone exchange centers; microwave and radio-wave transmission and relay towers, substations and appurtenances".
COMPREHENSIVE PLAN LAND USE: Rural Areas in Rural Area 4
LOCATION: Tax Map 91, Parcel 28I, located on Carter's Mountain Trail [private], approximately 1 mile south of its intersection with the Thomas Jefferson Parkway [State Route 53]
MAGISTERIAL DISTRICT: Scottsville
STAFF: David Pennock
Mr. Pennock summarized the staff report and presented a power point presentation.
This proposal is for three (3) amendments to the conditions of SP 05-014.
1. An amendment to Condition #1 to allow a change to the configuration of the antennae on the tower
2. An amendment to Condition #1 to provide more flexibility for future modifications as changes in technology necessitate
3. An amendment to Condition #10 in order to extend the period of time the Channel 27 antenna can remain on the PBS tower
There being no questions for staff, Ms. Joseph opened the public hearing and invited the applicant to address the Commission.
Valerie Long, representative for Gray Television Group, Inc., noted that Roger Burchett, station manager for Gray Television’s stations in Charlottesville, was also present. She presented a power point presentation.
Ms. Joseph asked if there were any questions for Ms. Long.
Mr. Strucko said that they were not increasing the height of this antenna, but just reconfiguring the existing antenna around the base of it.
Ms. Long replied that was exactly right in that they were not increasing the height of the tower or the height, length or size of any of the antennas. The proposed antennas ultimately are slightly smaller antennas than what was approved in 2005.
Ms. Joseph invited public comment. There being none, the public hearing was closed and the matter before the Commission.
Motion: Mr. Strucko moved, Mr. Zobrist seconded, to approve SP 2006-00041, Gray Television, subject to the conditions recommended by staff, as amended.
1. The facility including the tower, its attachments and the ground equipment building shall be sized, located and built in general accord with the construction plans and schematic drawings initialed SBW and dated May 5, 2004 and revised tower elevations and antenna schematic drawing dated October 20, 2006 and initialed DEP, subject to maximum height and width restrictions in conditions three (3) and five (5), "except as may be modified by like or similar antenna and other equipment, which such antenna and other equipment may be of equal or smaller size (except as may be approved by the Zoning Administrator), and provided that no additional antenna or other equipment (other than the existing Channel 19 antenna and lightning rod) is mounted above the top of the tower).
2. Prior to the issuance of a building permit, the applicant shall submit the final revised set of site drawings construction of the facility. Planning staff shall review the revised plans to ensure that all appropriate conditions of the special use permit have been addressed.
3. The height of the tower structure shall not exceed one hundred fifty (150) feet and the top of the antenna, including the lightning rod, shall not exceed one hundred ninety (190) feet above ground level. No equipment, with the exception of any FAA required flight safety lighting, shall extend higher than the tallest portion of the top-mounted antenna.
4. Antennas supporting services other than television broadcasting shall not be attached to extend above a total height of the tower itself.
5. The width of each side of the tower shall not exceed fifty (50) inches in width.
6. The existing guyed tower that currently supports this facility shall be removed within sixty (60) days of the completion of the new tower. This condition has been met as of 6/28/05.
7. The short existing tower, owned by Adelphia Cable Company shall be removed within ninety (90) days of the discontinuance of its use and in any case no later than October 31, 2004. This condition has been met as of 6/28/05.
8. The new ground equipment building shall be painted a natural, dark brown color, and screened on its eastern and western sides with evergreens or a mixture of trees deemed acceptable by the County’s Landscape Planner. This condition has been met as of 11/28/06.
9. No building permit for additional antenna installation or modification shall be issued until the unauthorized microwave dish is removed. This condition has been met as of 11/28/06.
The existing Gray TV antenna on the PBS tower located on Tax Map 91, Parcel 28E
shall be removed on or before February, 2009.
The motion passed by a vote of 6:0. (Mr. Craddock was absent.)
Ms. Joseph stated that SP-2006-00041, Gray Television, would go before the Board of Supervisors on March 14, 2007 with a recommendation for approval.
Return to PC actions letter