March 6, 2007
Valerie W. Long
321 East Main Street Suite 400
Charlottesville, VA 22902
RE: SP 2006-00041 Gray Television (Signs # 62 & 64)
Tax Map 91, Parcel 28I
Dear Ms. Long:
The Albemarle County Planning Commission, at its meeting on February 20, 2007, unanimously recommended approval of the above-noted petition to the Board of Supervisors.
Please note that this approval is subject to the following conditions:
1. The facility including the tower, its attachments and the ground equipment building shall be sized, located and built in general accord with the construction plans and schematic drawings initialed SBW and dated May 5, 2004 and revised tower elevations and antenna schematic drawing dated October 20, 2006 and initialed DEP, subject to maximum height and width restrictions in conditions three (3) and five (5), "except as may be modified by like or similar antenna and other equipment, which such antenna and other equipment may be of equal or smaller size (except as may be approved by the Zoning Administrator), and provided that no additional antenna or other equipment (other than the existing Channel 19 antenna and lightning rod) is mounted above the top of the tower).
2. Prior to the issuance of a building permit, the applicant shall submit the final revised set of site drawings construction of the facility. Planning staff shall review the revised plans to ensure that all appropriate conditions of the special use permit have been addressed.
3. The height of the tower structure shall not exceed one hundred fifty (150) feet and the top of the antenna, including the lightning rod, shall not exceed one hundred ninety (190) feet above ground level. No equipment, with the exception of any FAA required flight safety lighting, shall extend higher than the tallest portion of the top-mounted antenna.
4. Antennas supporting services other than television broadcasting shall not be attached to extend above a total height of the tower itself.
5. The width of each side of the tower shall not exceed fifty (50) inches in width.
6. The existing guyed tower that currently supports this facility shall be removed within sixty (60) days of the completion of the new tower. This condition has been met as of 6/28/05.
7. The short existing tower, owned by Adelphia Cable Company shall be removed within ninety (90) days of the discontinuance of its use and in any case no later than October 31, 2004. This condition has been met as of 6/28/05.
8. The new ground equipment building shall be painted a natural, dark brown color, and screened on its eastern and western sides with evergreens or a mixture of trees deemed acceptable by the County’s Landscape Planner. This condition has been met as of 11/28/06.
9. No building permit for additional antenna installation or modification shall be issued until the unauthorized microwave dish is removed. This condition has been met as of 11/28/06.
10. The existing Gray TV antenna on the PBS tower located on Tax Map 91, Parcel 28E shall be removed on or before February, 2009.
Please be advised that the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors will review this petition and receive public comment at their meeting on March 14, 2007.
If you should have any questions or comments regarding the above noted action, please do not hesitate to contact me at (434) 296-5832.
View PC staff report and attachments
View PC minutes
Return to regular agenda
David E. Pennock
Zoning and Current Development Division