August 23, 2006
Jones & Green, LLP
917 E. Jefferson Street
Charlottesville, VA 22902
RE: SP-2006-015 Monticello Memorial Gardens Expansion (Signs #33,38)
Tax Map 77, Parcels 32B, 37, 34, 38C, 37A, 36, 36B, 36A, 35, portion of 32A
Dear Mr. Wilke:
The Albemarle County Planning Commission, at its meeting on August 8, 2006, unanimously recommended approval of the above-noted petition to the Board of Supervisors.
Please note that this approval is subject to the following conditions:
1. Special Use Permit 2006-15 shall be developed in general accord with the concept plan revised July 12, 2006, prepared by Thomas B. Lincoln Land Surveyor, Inc. and titled “Monticello Memorial Gardens Expansion Concept Plan” (Attachment A.) in conjunction with Attachments A.1, A.2, and A.3.
2. The operating hours of the cemetery shall be limited to 8:30 am to 5:30 pm seven days a week.
3. Employees shall be limited to eleven (11).
4. A minimum of 11 parking spaces shall be provided for employees.
5. A 50' wooded buffer shall be maintained on the property along the full length of I64 that abuts the property. The 50’ buffer shall consist of existing wooded areas, which shall remain without disturbance, and currently unwooded areas that shall be planted with a mix of evergreen screening trees, staggered at 15’ on center, minimum 6’ in height at planting.
6. There shall be no disturbance of critical slopes.
7. All indigenous trees 12” caliper and above shall remain only within the areas of critical slopes defined by the shaded (cross hatched) areas in Attachment 2. Tree protection, as defined by the Virginia Erosion and Sediment Control Handbook, shall be in place before any disturbance of the site adjacent to an area of critical slopes.
8. All exterior parcel boundaries shall include a 25’ setback for internment areas.
9. The entrance improvements shall be included as described in Attachment 3, pages 1. and 2. with the first phase of construction.
10. The driveway pavement in the area labeled, "section of pavement to be removed" on the concept plan (Attachment A) on Jefferson Lake Drive between the access road for TMP 77-22 and the cemetery shall be removed with the beginning of the first phase of development and replaced with topsoil and seeded with grass or turf grass.
11. All internal access ways shall be designed according to the minimum standards listed below:
Primary Access way Minor Access way
Pavement Width: 18 ft. 14 ft. (2-way), ft. (1-way)
Shoulder Width: 4 ft. 4 ft.
Grade: less than 12% preferred, 16% max. Less than 12% preferred, 16% max.
Design Speed: 20 mph 10 mph
Centerline Radius: 120 ft. 50 ft. or more (usually dictated by
Sight Distance: Stopping: 125 ft. Intersection: 200 ft. Stopping: 85 ft. Intersection: 100 ft.
12. County approval of a plat consolidating all parcels into one when the use begins.
View staff report
View PC minutes
Return to regular agenda
Please be advised that the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors will review this petition and receive public comment at their meeting on September 6, 2006.
If you should have any questions or comments regarding the above noted action, please do not hesitate to contact me at (434) 296-5832.
Amy R. Arnold