COUNTY OF ALBEMARLE
A special use permit amendment is requested to allow a new organization to operate a church and missionary organization in the historic Oak Leigh house.
PLANNING COMMISSION DATE:
September 13, 2005
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS DATE:
October 5, 2005
The applicants propose to amend a special use permit in order to continue a church and religious retreat center, and operate the business office for a missionary organization. The amendment would remove a requirement that the facilities be operated only by the original owners.
A special use permit was approved in 1989 for a church and school in the historic Oak Leigh house, located on 13 acres on Plank Road west of Batesville. The original applicants (Christian Retreats Inc.) held church meetings and retreats for other churches on the property. The current applicants wish to remove a special use permit condition restricting the permit to the original applicants, and to continue a similar operation that would also include missionary training on site and an office for the organization.
The proposed amendment would remove the restriction on ownership imposed by the original special use permit, and would allow a similar operation to continue under new ownership. Conditions are proposed below to minimize the impacts on the surrounding Rural Areas (traffic, noise, rural and historic character, etc.) while permitting a religious organization to carry out their planned activities. Please note that the applicants requested an increase in the permitted level of use (see Attachment C) after the last day to accept new information.
Staff recommends approval of SP 2005-00016 with the following conditions:
1) Health Department approval of well(s) and septic system(s) for all proposed church, conference, residential, and office uses;
2) Fire and Rescue Department approval of the structure for all proposed church, conference, residential, and office uses;
3) Building official approval of the structure for all proposed church, conference, residential, and office uses;
4) Virginia Department of Transportation approval of entrance and exit;
5) The applicants shall present evidence of the approvals required in conditions 1 through 4 and obtain a zoning clearance for the use within 6 months of the approval of this permit.
6) Seating capacity in any area of assembly shall not exceed 100 persons;
7) Conferences or retreats, each limited in duration to no more than three days, may occur up to twelve times per calendar year. Attendance shall not exceed 100 persons;
8) Once per calendar year, a missionary training program may be held on the site, for a single continuous time period not to exceed 8 weeks.
9) No more than 30 persons attending conferences, retreats, or missionary training shall reside on the property at any one time.
10) No outdoor amplified sound systems shall be used on the property.
11) Outdoor group activities (meetings, services, recreational activities, and other similar events and activities) shall not occur between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m,
12) The footprint of the existing Oak Leigh house shall not be expanded, and no other structures shall be used or constructed for this use, without amendment of this permit.
Go to staff report and attachments
Return to PC actions letter