August 31, 2005
800 E. Jefferson Street
Charlottesville, VA 22902
RE: ZMA 2004-00024 Old Trail Village – Tax Map 55E – 1, Parcel A1
Dear Mr. Collins:
The Albemarle County Planning Commission, at its meeting on August 23, 2005, unanimously recommended approval of the above-noted petition to the Board of Supervisors.
Please note that this approval is subject to the following conditions:
The Planning Commission unanimously recommends Old Trail Village to the Board for approval with the understanding that all of the applicant’s summary of changes and the list in the staff report as amended below are addressed in the Code of Development, proffers or application plan as necessary:
- Changes, if any, needed for the park on both the plan and in the proffers as presented.
- Phasing of the non-residential area with the linkage between the residential development and the non-residential development to be continued beyond the first 500 houses.
- Removal of lots in the stream buffer. The application plan needs to be corrected.
- Review and verification of conservation and preservation areas, which has been submitted by the applicant.
- Revisions to Code of Development and application plan consistent with all of the items.
- Revisions of proffers relative to affordable housing based on the discussions to date with Ron White. The current proffers state an increase from 5% to 15 %.
- Have staff work cooperatively with the developer and the school system to develop a mutually agreeable comprehensive system of pedestrian access to the schools.
- Uses along Route 250 limited, densities reduced.
- Old Trail Park and surrounding open space increased by 9.2 acres to the satisfaction of Department Parks & Recreation.
- Minimum non-residential increased from 50,000 square feet to 100,000 square feet.
- Phasing will limit maximum retail to 48,000 square feet until 500 units are developed.
- Density issues resolved
- All ARB recommendations incorporated into Code of Development.
- Action on the critical slopes waiver will be a separate issue that will come before the Planning Commission at a later date.
The Commission also identified the following list as important aspects related to ZMA-2004-024, Old Trail Village, that are County responsibilities the Board should address.
- The parking restrictions in the existing downtown Crozet area be reviewed and potentially studied for revision to allow the Crozet area to better support its businesses that exist and could come.
- Put all of the County resources possible towards getting Jarman’s Gap Road higher on the VDOT list of priorities.
- Staff to work with the schools and applicant to talk about interconnectivity on the trails and traffic.
- Board to direct staff to work at making sure the downtown Crozet improvements were actually done.
View staff report and attachments
View proffers of September 9, 2005
Return to regular agenda
Please be advised that the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors will review this petition and receive public comment at their meeting on September 14, 2005. Any new or additional information regarding your application must be submitted to the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors at least seven days prior to your scheduled hearing date.
If you should have any questions or comments regarding the above noted action, please do not hesitate to contact me at (434) 296-5832.