IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ!!
For a crime in progress, please dial 911
If there is any physical evidence related to the incident or if you need to get
a copy of your police report sooner than 10 working days, do not use this Online
Reporting System. Please call the non-emergency number for police service, (434)
977-9041 to request to be contacted by an officer to file a police report or come
to the Albemarle County Police Department at 1600 5th Street to file a police report.
LOCATION OF INCIDENT BEING REPORTED
Your crime or incident must have occurred in Albemarle County. If the incident occurred
in another jurisdiction you must file a report with the law enforcement agency in
This online report is for insurance and police information purposes only. Information
obtained by this report assists in preventing future crimes by analyzing trends,
locations and times of violations. It may also assist in the identification and
return of stolen property recovered as the result of other investigations.
TYPES OF REPORTS
Do not use this online form to report:
- Any incident that is happening now or has just occurred. Please call 911 immediately
to make a report.
- Any type of violent crime (whether completed or attempted), including, but not limited
to: assault, kidnapping, robbery.
- Any type of sex crime (whether completed or attempted), including, but not limited
to: rape or sexual assault.
- Any missing person.
- Any type of stolen vehicle (whether completed or attempted), including, but not
limited to: cars, trucks, trailers, motorcycles.
- Any incidents of stolen license plates.
- Any incident (whether completed or attempted) involving breaking and entering of
your home or business.
- Any type of traffic accident.
- Any crimes committed against a person due to their race, religion, ethnic or national
origin, disability and/or sexual orientation.
You can use this on-line form to report most property and nuisance incidents, including:
- Destruction of Property/Vandalism up to $1000
- Larceny up to $1000
- Lost Property
- Noise Violations
- Solicitor Violations
- Past Suspicious Events/Persons/Vehicles
- Aggressive driving or other improper driving behavior.
- Animal Complaint
Our on-line reporting system does not have the ability to screen your reports to
make sure they fit into the above criteria. If you need help in determining what
type of crime you are trying to report, you may call the Police Department at (434)
296-5807 and we will advise you.
If you request a case number, one will be provided to you for your records and insurance
purposes. Your report will normally be processed within 72 hours; however, it may
take as long as 10 business days to receive your case number. If you would like
a copy of your report, please bring proof of your identification and your case number,
to the Police Department Services Division at 1600 5th Street.
If your incident is not eligible for online reporting or you would like an officer
to respond, please call (434) 977-9041.
If you qualify for an online report and wish to continue, please click the button