Facilities and Environmental Services  |  Frequently Asked Questions

Facilities and Environmental Services Frequently Asked Questions

Which departments/offices are located at the County Office Building on McIntire Road?

Finance; Business License Office; Human Resources; Parks and Recreation; Community Development; Planning; Zoning; Inspections; Real Estate; Purchasing, Facilities and Environmental Services; Education; County Attorney; County Executive’s Office, Office of the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors, and Voter Registrar (satellite office).

Which departments are located at the County Office Building at 5th Street?

Police, Social Services, Housing, Voter Registrar, Fire Rescue, VPI Cooperative Extension Services.

What are the business hours of the County Office Buildings?

8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday. The Police Department, located at the County Office Building on 5th Street, is always open. Phone: (434) 296-5807 (non-emergency)

Where is the Sheriff’s Office?

The Sheriff’s office is located at Court Square, 411 East High Street, Charlottesville, VA. 22902  Phone: (434) 972-4001

What are the business hours of the Sheriff’s office?

8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday. Phone: (434) 972-4001

Where can I buy hunting licenses?

Finance Department

Where can I buy dog licenses?

Finance Department

Where can I pay personal property and real estate taxes?

Finance Department

Are the County Office Buildings accessible by public transportation?

Yes; the Charlottesville Transit system routes buses to both County Office Buildings.

What are the business hours of the (RSWA) Material Utilization Center?

Tuesday - Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Saturday 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m(please allow sufficient time to unload before closing time). The RSWA is closed on Sundays, New Years Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. Phone: (434) 295-3306

Does Albemarle County provide trash pick-up?

The County does not provide trash pickup. County residents must hire trash haulers or take trash to the Material Utilization Center.

Where can I purchase a permit to burn?

The Fire Rescue Department at the County Office Building on 5th Street. Phone: (434) 296-5833

Where can I purchase a permit to solicit door-to-door in Albemarle County?

The Police Department located at the County Office Building on 5th Street. Phone: (434) 296-5807

Where can I purchase a building permit?

The Community Development Department located at the County Office Building McIntire Road. Phone: (434) 296-5832

Where to report an E-911 street sign that is damaged or missing?

Call the Street Sign Hotline, Facilities and Environmental Services:(434) 296-5816.

What is the phone number for Miss Utility of Virginia?

(800) 552-7001, always call before you dig.

Does the County rent its office building facilities to the public?

Yes; meeting rooms are available Monday through Friday excluding holidays in the County Office Buildings at 5th Street and McIntire Road. To reserve a room call Facilities and Environmental Services, Phone (434) 296-5816

Where can I obtain a marriage license?

Office of the Clerk of the Circuit Court located at Court Square, 501 E. Jefferson Street, Charlottesville, VA, Phone: (434) 972-4083

Who do I contact regarding snow removal?

The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT)  Phone: (434) 293-0011

For County Employees:

Where to get a County Local Government Employee ID badge?

Facilities and Environmental Services. There is a $15 fee to replace lost badges. Worn out badges are replaced free of charge.

How do I report a maintenance or custodial problem?

Goto Inside Albemarle, click on the link "How do I?", scroll down to work order link or for emergency situations please contact the Facilities and Environmental Services office (434)296-5816.


How do I reserve meeting room space?

Goto Inside Albemarle, click on the link "how do I?", scroll down to make a room reservation.

Why is my office so hot/cold?

The temperature set points we have implemented (76°F for cooling season and 72°F for the heating season) are the midpoints of temperature ranges recommended by a widely-accepted industry standard for thermal comfort for office buildings (the ASHRAE 55-2004 Thermal Comfort Standard). We have chosen to set the temperature at the midpoint of the recommended ranges in order to accommodate the majority of employees’ varying temperature preferences.

What are the hours of the McIntire Road Recycling Center?

Wednesday – Friday      8:30 a.m. – 5:20 p.m.
Saturday                      9:30 a.m. – 5:20 p.m.
Sunday                       12:30 p.m. – 5:20 p.m.

Holiday Schedule:
The Facility is closed on New Years Day, Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
Contact number: (434) 977-2970

What is the link to the Rivanna Solid Waste Authority website?




Hot Topics
Paint Collection at RSWA  
Contact the Department
Facilities & Environmental Services
401 McIntire Road
Room 420
Charlottesville, VA 22902
FAX: 434-293-0294
Email the Department