COUNTY OF ALBEMARLE
Revisions to Personnel Policy
Resolution to approve amendment of Personnel Policy P-61, Overtime/ Compensatory Time
Messrs. Tucker, Foley and Elliot, Ms. Kim, Ms. Suyes and Ms. Gerome
LEGAL REVIEW: Yes
ACTION: X INFORMATION:
Human Resources and the County Attorney’s Office are working together to review and update personnel policies as part of the comprehensive revision of the County’s Personnel Policy Manual. Under joint policies adopted by the School Board (GAD-AP) and Local Government (P-08), the two boards require that when proposed personnel policies apply to both of them, a joint staff committee will review the proposed policies and make recommendations to the Superintendent and County Executive for Board and School Board adoption. The proposed revisions to the Overtime/ Compensatory Time policies have been reviewed and approved by this committee. The corresponding School Board policy will be presented to the School Board on December 10, 2009.
4.1 Provide effective, responsive and courteous service to our customers.
The proposed Overtime/Compensatory Time policy revisions include the following:
· The organization of the policy is revised to be more user-friendly.
· Key terms related to overtime and compensatory time are defined.
· Both employer and employee responsibilities are more clearly established and defined.
· A provision to allow for departments to develop on-call compensation programs is added.
· A provision has been added in the Holiday Pay section to address alternative work schedules.
· The maximum accrual balance for compensatory time is decreased as indicated:
1. The maximum accrual for employees in sworn law enforcement positions is reduced from 480 hours to 240 hours
2. The maximum accrual for all other employees is reduced from 240 hours to 100 hours
The provision to allow for departments to develop on-call compensation programs may result in a budgetary impact, which would be assessed during the development of each program. The cost would be assumed at the departmental level.
Staff recommends that the Board adopt the attached Resolution, which will approve the proposed changes to Personnel Policy P-61.
Personnel Policy P-61
Return to consent agenda
Return to regular agenda