COUNTY OF ALBEMARLE
FY 2010 Budget Amendment
Public Hearing on the Proposed FY 2010 Budget Amendment in the amount of $ 18,676,310.43 and approval of Budget Amendment and Appropriations #2010037, #2010039, #2010040, #2010041, #2010042, #2010043, #2010044, #2010045, #2010046, #2010047, #2010048, and #2010049 to provide funding for various local government, school, and capital programs.
Messrs. Tucker, Foley, Davis, Wiggans, and Letteri
LEGAL REVIEW: Yes
November 4, 2009
ACTION: X INFORMATION:
Virginia Code § 15.2-2507 provides that any locality may amend its budget to adjust the aggregate amount to be appropriated during the fiscal year as shown in the currently adopted budget; provided, however, any such amendment which exceeds one percent of the total expenditures shown in the currently adopted budget must be accomplished by first publishing a notice of a meeting and holding a public hearing before amending the budget. The Code section applies to all County funds, i.e., General Fund, Capital Funds, E911, School Self-Sustaining, etc.
The total of the new requested FY 2010 appropriations, itemized below, is $18,676,310.43. Because the cumulative amount of the appropriations exceeds one percent of the currently adopted budget, a budget amendment public hearing is required.
Goal 5: Develop a comprehensive funding strategy/plan to address the County’s growing needs.
The proposed increase of this FY 2010 Budget Amendment totals $18,676,310.43. The estimated expenses and revenues included in the proposed amendment are shown below:
General Fund $ 25,000.00
Special Revenue Funds $ 340,903.00
Emergency Communication Center Funds $ 579,710.00
Capital Improvements Funds $16,417,230.06
Storm Water Fund $ 1,313,467.37
TOTAL ESTIMATED EXPENDITURES – All Funds $18,676,310.43
Local Revenues (Fees, Contributions, Donations) $ 155,324.75
State Revenue $ 230,940.00
Federal Revenue $ 409,591.44
Loan Proceeds $ 250,000.00
Other Fund Balances $17,630,454.24
TOTAL ESTIMATED REVENUES – All Funds $18,676,310.43
The budget amendment is comprised of thirteen (13) separate appropriations, one of which was approved at the Board’s October 14, 2009 meeting.
Approved on October 14, 2009:
· One (1) appropriation (#2010038) totaling $171,000, reappropriating an uncompleted local government project from FY09;
Twelve (12) new appropriations are as follows:
· One (1) appropriation (#2010037) totaling $113,508.00 for various public safety grants;
· One (1) appropriation (#2010039) totaling $56,850.00 for a Dept. of Health grant to Fire/Rescue;
· One (1) appropriation (#2010040) totaling $579,710.00 for a VITA grant to ECC and ECC projects;
· One (1) appropriation (#2010041) totaling $59,440.00 for the salary of the Foothills Grant Project Director;
· One (1) appropriation (#2010042) totaling $14,682,202.17 reappropriating uncompleted local government capital projects from FY09
· One (1) appropriation (#2010043) totaling $ 1,452,731.14 reappropriating uncompleted school capital projects from FY09
· One (1) appropriation (#2010044) totaling $1,313,467.37 reappropriating uncompleted stormwater projects from FY09
· One (1) appropriation (#2010045) totaling $2,200.00 for a DCJS grant to the Commission on Children and Families;
· One (1) appropriation (#2010046) totaling $165,755.00 for a DCJS grant to OAR/JACC;
· One (1) appropriation (#2010047) totaling $4,446.75 for education projects; and
· One (1) appropriation (#2010048) totaling $25,000.00 to reimburse local government for training of school division employees;
· One (1) appropriation (#2010049) totaling $50,000.00 for the payment of the SPCA agreement’s capital contribution
A detailed description of these requests is provided on Attachment A.
Staff recommends approval of the FY 2010 Budget Amendment in the amount of $18,676,310.43 after the public hearing, and then approval of Appropriations #2010037, #2010039, #2010040, #2010041, #2010042, #2010043, #2010044, #2010045, #2010046, #2010047, #2010048, and #2010049 to provide funds for various local government and school projects and programs as described in Attachment A.
A – Description of Appropriations
Return to regular agenda