COUNTY OF ALBEMARLE
FY 2010 Budget Amendment
Public Hearing on the Proposed FY 2010 Budget Amendment in the amount of $3,748,364.30 and request approval of Appropriation #2010001, #2010002, #2010003, #2010004, #2010005, and #2010006 to provide funding for various local government and school programs.
Messrs. Tucker, Foley, Davis, Wiggans
LEGAL REVIEW: Yes
July 1, 2009
ACTION: X INFORMATION:
Virginia Code § 15.2-2507 stipulates that any locality may amend its budget to adjust the aggregate amount to be appropriated during the fiscal year as shown in the currently adopted budget. However, any such amendment which exceeds one percent of the total expenditures shown in the currently adopted budget must be accomplished by first publishing a notice of a meeting and holding a public hearing before amending the budget. The Code section applies to all County funds, i.e., General Fund, Capital Funds, E911, School Self-Sustaining, etc.
The total of the new requested FY 2010 appropriations, itemized below, is $3,748,364.30. Because the cumulative amount of the appropriations exceeds one percent of the currently adopted budget, a budget amendment public hearing is required.
Goal 5: Develop a comprehensive funding strategy/plan to address the County’s growing needs.
The proposed increase of this FY 2010 Budget Amendment totals $3,748,364.30. The estimated expenses and revenues included in the proposed amendment are shown below:
General Fund $ (135.00)
Special Revenue Funds $ 3,735,999.30
School Program Funds $ 12,500.00
TOTAL ESTIMATED EXPENDITURES – All Funds $ 3,748,364.30
Local Revenues (Contributions, Other) $ 70,278.65
Federal Revenue $ 1,212.00
Other Fund Balances $ 3,676,873.65
TOTAL ESTIMATED REVENUES – All Funds $ 3,748,364.30
The budget amendment is comprised of six (6) new appropriations as follows:
· One (1) appropriation (#2010001) providing $2,530.00 from the Board’s contingency to the Commonwealth’s Attorney Office which was erroneously excluded from their recommended budget;
· One (1) appropriation (#2010002) totaling $1,347.00 for the Police Department’s “Neighborhood Safety Project” grant;
· One (1) appropriation (#2010003) for the Belvedere bond default totaling $3,675,790.00;
· One (1) appropriation (#2010004) totaling $1,083.65 to the Natural Heritage Committee;
· One (1) appropriation (#2010005) totaling $12,500.00 for Education donations/programs; and
· One (1) appropriation (#2010006) establishing a special revenue fund for rental income and expenses relating to the Old Crozet Elementary School totaling $57,778.65.
A detailed description of these requests is provided on Attachment A.
Staff recommends approval of the FY 2010 Budget Amendment in the amount of $3,748,364.30 after the public hearing, and then approval of Appropriations #2010001, #2010002, #2010003, #2010004, #2010005 (subject to approval by the School Board at its June 25, 2009 meeting) and #2010006 to provide funds for various local government and school projects and programs as described in Attachment A.
A - Appropriations
Return to regular agenda