COUNTY OF ALBEMARLE
SP 2008-49 Pine Ridge Church of the Brethren
Construction of an 18’ x 24’ addition on the rear of the church to serve as a multi-purpose area
LEGAL REVIEW: No
January 14, 2009
ACTION: X INFORMATION:
The Planning Commission held a public hearing for this project on December 9, 2008. At that meeting the Planning Commission directed staff to draft a condition of approval establishing a tree preservation provision since the proposed addition does not require a site plan.
Planning and Zoning staff, with the assistance of the County Attorney’s office, have created a condition establishing a tree protection provision that requires the dripline of the existing trees to be surveyed in order to tie the condition of approval to existing conditions on the site.
With the addition of condition five to address the Commission’s request, staff and the Planning Commission recommend approval of SP 2008-49 Pine Ridge Church of the Brethren with the following conditions:
1. The church’s improvements and the scale and location of the improvements shall be developed in general accord with the conceptual plan provided by the applicant and received September 12, 2008;
2. The area of assembly shall be limited to a maximum of an 88-seat sanctuary;
3. There shall be no day care center or private school on site without approval of a separate special use permit.
4. All outdoor lighting shall be arranged or shielded to reflect light away from all abutting properties. A lighting plan limiting light levels at all property lines to no greater than 0.5 foot candles shall be subject to approval by the Planning Director.
5. No tree removal, grading, or disturbance shall take place within the driplines of the trees. The applicant shall have the dripline of the trees surveyed and shall mark the dripline in the field with temporary fencing. Any grading or disturbance within 10 feet of any dripline shall necessitate submittal of a "Tree Protection Plan" in accord with section 184.108.40.206 of the Zoning Ordinance. No grading or disturbance within 10 feet of any dripline shall be permitted until a) the survey and fencing have been completed and b) the Planning Director approves a plan which shows the grading or disturbance and the surveyed dripline of the existing trees.
Go to staff report and attachments
Return to PC actions letter