Charlottesville-Albemarle Metropolitan Planning Organization
of the Thomas Jefferson Planning District Commission
POB 1505, 401 E. Water Street, Charlottesville, VA 22902 www.tjpdc.org
(434) 979-7310 phone ● (434) 979-1597 fax ● email@example.com email
Charlottesville-Albemarle Regional Transit Authority
DRAFT Transit Vision
The Charlottesville-Albemarle Regional Transit Authority will provide fast, frequent, dependable, and seamless transit service throughout the area.
· Provide direct links between and among the four major destinations in the City of Charlottesville and Albemarle County: Downtown, UVA/Medical Center, Pantops, and the Rt. 29 North corridor.
· Provide competitive choices for travel throughout the region – for residents, commuters, employees, students, and visitors.
· Improve routes and choices for underserved communities and individuals.
· Attract ‘choice’ riders – those who currently drive for most trips.
· Increase access to medical, employment, tourist, recreation, education, service and retail destinations throughout the region.
· Integrate transit fully with other modes of transportation - walking, wheeling, carpooling, driving alone, and regional bus and rail.
· Serve as a tool to help make the area ‘Livable for a Lifetime.’
· Reduce traffic congestion, pollution, energy consumption, and personal travel costs.
· Create a unified regional transit plan to identify 1) routes, 2) level of service 3) phasing,
4) vehicle technology, 5) funding requirements, and 6) operating responsibilities.
· Secure a sustainable, stable funding source for new equipment, physical improvements, operations, and maintenance.
· Work with localities, businesses and developers to plan for mixed-use Transit Oriented Development (around existing service) and Transit-Ready Development (for future system expansion).
· Design routes and schedules so that service to existing areas is maintained or improved.
· Coordinate physical improvements around bus waiting areas and transit stations.
· Maximize service efficiency through:
o Innovative use of technology for vehicle tracking/on-time performance/real-time info.
o Increased coordination of service planning and operations.
o Seamless marketing, communications, and education for user-friendly customer experience.
· Promote and provide opportunities to utilize public-private partnerships
Return to memo