COUNTY OF ALBEMARLE
FY 2009 Budget Amendment
Public Hearing on the Proposed FY 2009 Budget Amendment in the amount of $51,432,475.73 and request approval of Appropriation #2009026, #2009027, #2009028, #2009032, #2009033, #2009034, #2009035, #2009036, #2009037, #2009038, and #2009039 to provide funding for various local government, school, ECC and capital programs.
Messrs. Tucker, Foley, Davis, Wiggans
LEGAL REVIEW: Yes
November 5, 2008
ACTION: X INFORMATION:
The Code of Virginia § 15.2-2507 stipulates that any locality may amend its budget to adjust the aggregate amount to be appropriated during the fiscal year as shown in the currently adopted budget. However, any such amendment which exceeds one percent of the total expenditures shown in the currently adopted budget must be accomplished by first publishing a notice of a meeting and holding a public hearing before amending the budget. The Code section applies to all County funds, i.e., General Fund, Capital Funds, E911, School Self-Sustaining, etc.
The total of the new requested FY 2009 appropriations, itemized below, is $49,311,138.74. Combined with the appropriations approved since the budget was adopted, the cumulative appropriation total is $51,432,475.73. Because the cumulative amount of the appropriations exceeds one percent of the currently adopted budget, a budget amendment public hearing is required.
Goal 5: Develop a comprehensive funding strategy/plan to address the County’s growing needs.
The proposed increase of this FY 2009 Budget Amendment totals $51,432,475.73. The estimated expenses and revenues included in the proposed amendment are shown below:
General Fund $ 1,182,592.36
Special Revenue Funds $ 126,400.13
School Fund $ 19,065.00
School Program Funds $ 155,246.27
Capital Improvements Funds $ 47,370,619.54
Storm Water Management Fund $ 2,501,622.43
Emergency Communication Center Fund $ 76,930.00
TOTAL ESTIMATED EXPENDITURES – All Funds $ 51,432,475.73
Local Revenues (Contributions, Proffers, Other) $ 681,887.84
State Revenue $ 654,485.46
Federal Revenue $ 59,140.00
Loan Proceeds $ 17,702,424.00
General Fund Balance $ 1,187,281.56
Other Fund Balances $ 31,147,256.87
TOTAL ESTIMATED REVENUES – All Funds $ 51,432,475.73
The budget amendment is comprised of twelve (12) separate appropriations, one (1) of which has already been approved by the Board as indicated below:
Approved October 8, 2008:
· One (1) appropriation (#2009031) reappropriating $2,126,026.19 for the Acquisition of Conservation Easement program.
The eleven (11) new appropriations are as follows:
· One (1) appropriation (#2009026) reappropriating $42,310,343.81 for uncompleted local government capital projects;
· One (1) appropriation (#2009027) reappropriating $2,919,833.54 for uncompleted school capital projects;
· One (1) appropriation (#2009028) reappropriating $2,501,622.43 for uncompleted stormwater capital projects;
· One (1) appropriation (#2009032) totaling $3,861.00 for two miscellaneous budget adjustments;
· One (1) appropriation (#2009033) in the amount of $53,931.24 for Police and Fire Rescue Department grants;
· One (1) appropriation (#2009034) totaling $188,727.27, for Education donations and programs;
· One (1) appropriation (#2009035) providing $76,930.00 in funding for the implementation of a twelve hour work schedule for Emergency Communication Center’s communications officers;
· One (1) appropriation (#2009036) totaling $789.69 to close out the Circuit Court Clerk’s Office Preservation Grant;
· One (1) appropriation (#2009037) for a Sheriff’s Department grant in the amount of $19,829.20;
· One (1) appropriation (#2009038) reappropriating $1,180,631.56 for uncompleted General Government projects; and
· One (1) appropriation (#2009039) appropriating $58,500.00 for new local government projects to be funded from FY 08/09 savings.
A detailed description of these requests is provided on Attachment A.
Staff recommends approval of the FY 2009 Budget Amendment in the amount of $51,432,475.73 after the public hearing, and then approval of Appropriations #2009026, #2009027, #2009028, #2009032, #2009033, #2009034, #2009035, #2009036, #2009037, #2009038, and #2009039 to provide funds for various local government, school, ECC, and capital projects and programs as described in Attachment A.
Return to regular agenda