COUNTY OF ALBEMARLE
County Facilities Rental Application and Rates
Approval of revised application and rental rate increase for use of County facilities
Messrs. Tucker, Foley, Davis, Herrick, Shadman, and Freitas
LEGAL REVIEW: Yes
September 3, 2008
ACTION: X INFORMATION:
For several years, the Board has encouraged the use of the County facilities by outside groups when those activities do not interfere with County business. This policy has been well received. For the past three years, General Services has overseen the process by receiving the requests, issuing and reviewing the applications for reservations, collecting the rental fees and monitoring the uses. However, the reservation application and rental fee schedule have not been revised since 2002.
Mission Statement: To enhance the well-being and quality of life for all citizens through the provision of the highest level of public service consistent with the prudent use of public funds
With the additional conference rooms at COB-5th and the renovation of the auditorium and Conference Room 241 at COB-McIntire, staff has recognized the need to update the application and guidelines for using these facilities. The investment in modernizing County facilities has been significant: $1.5 million in the auditorium and $200,000 in Room 241. Also, there have been significant operating cost increases since the previous revision in 2002 – approximately 20% in labor and 40% in utilities. According to a recent staff analysis, the daily cost to maintain and operate the auditorium is $175.20, which is the basis for the auditorium rate recommendation. The proposed rate increases off-set only a portion of the costs for security, custodial and utility expenses. The recommended fees remain significantly lower than what the local private sector charges. In addition to the proposed fee revisions, staff is also recommending additional changes to simplify and clarify the application.
Notable changes include:
· Reducing the classification of groups from five to three.
· Increasing the custodial charge from $16 to $18.
· Increasing the security deposit for weekend rental from $100 to $150 to address the increased incidence of property damage. For example, the County has had to have the document tables in the auditorium repaired when renters moved them without authorization and damaged the tops. The County has also had to clean, repair, or replace conference room furniture and walls written upon with markers.
· Increasing the hourly rental rate for for-profit and private groups, organizations and businesses from $25 per hour to $40 per hour.
· Increasing the flat fee for weekend use of Lane Auditorium from $100 to $175 plus applicable custodial charges.
In Fiscal Year 2008, revenue generated from conference room rental was $9,411. It is anticipated that the recommended rate changes will generate an additional 10% to 15% in revenue.
Staff recommends that the Board approve the revised application and rate adjustments.
A – Revised Application
Return to consent agenda
Return to regular agenda