COUNTY OF ALBEMARLE
Rezone to HC Highway Commercial, with proffers to restrict uses, to allow for a landscaping business that will include outdoor storage of plants and plant materials
LEGAL REVIEW: YES (proffers)
March 12, 2008
ACTION: X INFORMATION:
Scott & Caroline Watkins; Rieley & Associates consulting landscape architects
A public hearing was held on this rezoning and special use permit at the Planning Commission on January 22, 2008 and the Commission supported staff’s recommendation, recommending approval of the rezoning and accompanying Special Use Permit for Outdoor Storage in the Entrance Corridor. This motion for approval included the following recommended changes to the proffers and proffered concept plan:
o The Commission recommended further limitations on the development of the property and that only “Home and business services such as grounds care, landscaping and other related repair and maintenance services” be permitted and that the opportunity for residential uses by special use permits in accordance with R15 Zoning be removed.
o Minor wording changes were also needed.
Proffered Concept Plan-
o Minor notes and clarifications requested by staff were needed to the proffered concept plan.
The applicant has submitted a revised concept plan and proffers to address the recommendations of the Commission and to address minor changes requested by staff. There are no longer any outstanding issues. The applicant is also agreeable to the recommended Outdoor Storage special use permit conditions. (Attachment I- Proffers and Concept Plan-II) The applicant has requested that public comments received on this project be provided to the Board and are included as Attachment III.
ZMA 2007-16 Watkins Landscaping
Staff and the Planning Commission recommend approval of this rezoning with the attached proffers date March 12, 2008 and signed February 14, 2008 including the proffered concept plan dated January 2008.
SP-2007-00060 Watkins 250 Outdoor Storage
Staff recommends approval of SP 2007-60 with the following conditions:
- Products shall be stored only in the areas indicated for storage on the Watkins & Company Concept Plan sheet L-1 dated January 2008.
- All nursery stock shall be stored on the ground without use of racks, display stands or other similar items.
- Any structure required for separating the mulch, topsoil and compost shall not exceed 6’ in height. The design of such structure is subject to review/approval by the ARB during the site plan review.
- The site shall be landscaped according to the following criteria and ARB approval of landscape plan to include:
– A mixed planting of trees and shrubs, both evergreen and deciduous, shall be provided in the 30-foot planting strip along the south side of the site and along the west side of the site from the shed to the EC. The planting shall be continued westward to the retaining wall in all areas disturbed by grading.
– A mixed planting shall be provided along the east side of the site to provide screening for the storage areas and to blend with the surroundings.
5. The parking of trucks for the business beyond the 9-space parking lot shown on the Concept Plan shall be limited as follows: A maximum of 5 trucks may be parked between the mulch/top soil storage area and the 5950 sf nursery stock storage area during the night hours.
I. Proffer Statement, dated March 12, 2008, signed February 14, 2008
II. Plan dated January 2008, received February 2, 2008, titled “ Concept Plan-Watkins & Company”, prepared by Rieley & Associates, Landscape Architects
III. Public Comment packet provided at the request of the applicant
Return to PC actions letter