The Albemarle County Planning Commission held a meeting and a public hearing on Tuesday, December 11, 2007, at 6:00 p.m., at the County Office Building, Lane Auditorium, Second Floor, 401 McIntire Road, Charlottesville, Virginia.
Members attending were Marcia Joseph, Chairman; Duane Zobrist, Jon Cannon; Bill Edgerton; Pete Craddock; Eric Strucko and Calvin Morris, Vice-Chairman. Mr. Strucko arrived at 6:03 p.m. Mr. Cannon arrived at 6:05 p.m. Mr. Zobrist arrived at 6:08 p.m. Julia Monteith, AICP, Senior Land Use Planner for the University of Virginia was absent.
Other officials present were Bill Fritz, Chief of Community Development; David E. Pennock, Principal Planner; Joan McDowell, Principal Planner; John Shepherd, Manager of Current Development & Zoning; Wayne Cilimberg, Director of Planning; Scott Clark, Senior Planner; Judith Wiegand, Senior Planner; Jonathan Sharp, Engineer; Gerald Gatobu, Planner; Rebecca Ragsdale, Senior Planner and Greg Kamptner, Deputy County Attorney.
Ms. Joseph called the meeting to order at 6:02 p.m. and established a quorum.
Other Matters Not Listed on the Agenda from the Public:
Ms. Joseph invited comment from the public on other matters not listed on the agenda. There being none, the meeting moved to the next item.
Public Hearing Items:
SP-2007-00041 Collin Gallahue - Violin Maker (Sign # 8)
PROPOSED: Home Occupation to permit a violin making operation in an accessory structure on a 131 acre property
ZONING CATEGORY/GENERAL USAGE: RA -- Rural Areas: agricultural, forestal, and fishery uses; residential density (0.5 unit/acre)
SECTION: 10.2.2 (31) Home Occupation Class B
COMPREHENSIVE PLAN LAND USE/DENSITY: Rural Areas - preserve and protect agricultural, forestal, open space, and natural, historic and scenic resources/ density ( .5 unit/ acre)
ENTRANCE CORRIDOR: Yes____No_x__
LOCATION: 6551 Heards Mountain Rd. (Rt. 633), Covesville
TAX MAP/PARCEL: TMP 97 - 24
MAGISTERIAL DISTRICT: Samuel Miller
Ms. McDowell presented a power point presentation and summarized the staff report.
· This is a special use permit for a home occupation, class B. Mr. Gallahue would like this home occupation to be able to make and sell handcrafted musical instruments from his home in an accessory structure. He specializes in musical instruments, but there are a limited number of instruments made because they are hand made.
· There will be some sales at the site. He is estimating in a good year 36 instruments per year. It is a very limited business.
· This is 131 acre property located at 6551 Heards Mountain Road. The property is very isolated.
· The business is limited to the making and repair of musical instruments. She explained the location of the property.
· Staff recommends approval of the request. She asked to change condition 1 to add “and sales” along with making a repair in case there is some question in the future.
Ms. Joseph opened the public hearing and invited the applicant to address the Commission.
Collin Gallahue said that his application was fairly self explanatory. There is an existing accessory structure on the property that is close to the house where he resides. He is seeking a permit so that he can make and sale equipments out of that shop.
Mr. Cannon asked if the sale would be of the violins that he makes on the site.
Mr. Gallahue replied yes.
Ms. Joseph invited other public comment.
Will Rieley, a resident of the Samuel Miller District, spoke on behalf of this project because this is exactly the kind of ancillary use that is appropriate in the rural area. There is already a banjo maker near Heards and all they have needed is a violin maker. He asked that the Commission look favorably on this request.
There being no further public comment, the public hearing was closed and the matter before the Commission.
Motion: Mr. Strucko moved, Mr. Morris seconded, for approval of SP-2007-00041, Collin Gallahue – Violin Maker, with the recommended conditions, as amended.
1. SP 2007-41 is limited to the making, repair, and sales of musical instruments.
2. No employees shall be permitted, without approval of an amendment to this special use permit.
3. Storage of materials shall be entirely within the accessory building, as shown on Attachment A.
The motion for approval passed by a vote of 7:0.
Ms. Joseph stated that SP-2007-00041, Collin Gallahue – Violin Maker will go before the Board of Supervisors on January 9, 2008 with a recommendation for approval.
Return to PC actions letter