SP-2007-00025 First Christian Church (Sign # 1 & 2)
PROPOSED: Special use permit amendment for church, to change location and size of proposed picnic pavilion and change boundary of wooded area not to be disturbed.
ZONING CATEGORY/GENERAL USAGE: RA -- Rural Areas: agricultural, forestal, and fishery uses; residential density (0.5 unit/acre); EC Entrance Corridor - Overlay to protect properties of historic, architectural or cultural significance from visual impacts of development along routes of tourist access
SECTION: 10.2.2.35 Church building and adjunct cemetery.
COMPREHENSIVE PLAN LAND USE/DENSITY: Rural Areas - preserve and protect agricultural, forestal, open space, and natural, historic and scenic resources/ density (.5 unit/ acre)
ENTRANCE CORRIDOR: Yes
LOCATION: Northeast corner of Richmond Road (US 250) and Keswick Road (Route 731).
TAX MAP/PARCEL: 79-24A
MAGISTERIAL DISTRICT: Scottsville
Mr. Clark presented a power point presentation and summarized the staff report.
· Staff has identified the following factors favorable to this application:
1. VDOT and the County Engineer are satisfied that the entrance design is adequate to accommodate the traffic generated by the proposal.
2. A church on this parcel would provide a community meeting place and opportunities for residents to take part in local community life.
· Staff has identified the following factors unfavorable to this application:
1. Construction of the church would require clearing of parts of this wooded site. Recommended conditions are intended to reduce the visual and environmental impacts of this clearing by controlling its extent and location. There is a lost of 0.39 acres of the wooded area not to be disturbed. That is a small area over the whole 15 acre parcel. Therefore, staff felt that was a minimal change.
Ms. Joseph asked if there were questions for staff. Since this was such a minimal change she asked Mr. Kamptner if that was something that could be administratively approved.
Mr. Kamptner replied no, because the conceptual plan that was approved with the first special use permit by condition 1 was made part of the conditions.
Ms. Joseph said that reference to that first drawing is what held them to those areas.
Mr. Kamptner replied that was correct.
Mr. Craddock asked if staff has heard from any of the neighbors.
Mr. Clark replied that he had not heard any comments.
Ms. Joseph opened the public hearing and invited the applicant to address the Commission.
Hunter McCardell, representative of McKee Carson, said that he represented the applicant. They have no comments at this time, but are happy to answer any questions or clarifications.
Ms. Joseph invited other public comment. There being none, the public hearing was closed and the matter before the Commission.
Motion: Mr. Strucko moved, Mr. Cannon seconded, to approve SP-2007-00025, First Christian Church, with the conditions recommended in the staff report.
1. The church’s improvements and the scale and location of the improvements shall be developed in general accord with the conceptual plan entitled “First Christian Church, Albemarle County, Virginia – Minor Amendment to the Special Use Permit” prepared by McKee Carson, and dated May 29, 2007.
2. The area of assembly shall be limited to a maximum 306-seat sanctuary.
3. No grading or tree removal shall take place within the area marked "area not to be disturbed" on the conceptual plan or within the 75-foot setback adjacent to Route 250 East.
4. No erosion and sedimentation control plan nor building permit shall be approved for the area marked "area not to be disturbed" without prior approval of a tree conservation plan complying with section 220.127.116.11 of the Zoning Ordinance.
5. All parking setbacks and undisturbed buffers required by Zoning Ordinance section 21.7, Minimum Yard Requirements, shall apply if this use is developed.
6. All outdoor lighting shall be arranged or shielded to reflect light away from the abutting properties.
7. The existing prescriptive right-of-way along this parcel’s Keswick Road (Rte. 731) frontage shall be replaced with a public right-of-way at least 25 ft wide and dedicated to public use.
8. There shall be no day care center or private school on site without approval of a separate special use permit;
The motion passed by a vote of 4:0. (Mr. Morris, Mr. Edgerton and Mr. Zobrist were absent.)
Ms. Joseph stated that SP-2007-00025, First Christian Church will go before the Board of Supervisors on October 10, 2007 with a recommendation for approval.
Return to PC actions letter