The Albemarle County Planning Commission held a meeting, work session and a public hearing on Tuesday, July 31, 2007, at 6:00 p.m., at the County Office Building, Lane Auditorium, Second Floor, 401 McIntire Road, Charlottesville, Virginia.
Members attending were Jon Cannon, Calvin Morris, Vice-Chairman; Marcia Joseph, Chairman; Eric Strucko; Duane Zobrist; Bill Edgerton and Pete Craddock. Julia Monteith, AICP, Senior Land Use Planner for the University of Virginia was present.
Other officials present were Wayne Cilimberg, Planning Director; Judith Wiegand, Senior Planner; Lee Catlin, Community Relations Manager; Mark Graham, Director of Community Development; David Benish, Chief of Planning and Greg Kamptner, Deputy County Attorney.
Ms. Joseph called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m. and established a quorum.
Other Matters Not Listed on the Agenda from the Public:
Ms. Joseph invited comment from the public on other matters not listed on the agenda. There being none, the meeting moved on to the next item.
Places 29 – Draft Master Plan (Judy Wiegand)
Chapter 5: Future Land Use and Transportation Framework
Chapter 6: Community Facilities and Services
In summary, a work session on Chapters 5 and 6 of the Places29 Draft Master Plan was held by the Planning Commission. In a PowerPoint presentation, staff introduced Chapters 5 and 6. The Commission then heard comments from the public. After the public comment, staff presented a series of detailed comments and questions on Chapter 5. The Commission worked with staff on the answers to these questions. The Commission also made comments and suggestions. No formal action was taken. The Commission did not finish the review of Chapter 5 or 6 and scheduled another work session on August 28 at 4:00 p.m.
The public comment taken from the speakers is summarized as follows:
Forest Lakes South –
Commonwealth Circle –
Wendell Wood –
The Planning Commission made the following comments:
Pages 1 – 2 -
Page 3 –
Page 8 –
Page 9 –
Page 12 –
Input Re: BOS philosophy? Page 14 –
Page 14 Table LU1 –
Transect Table –
Page 16 –
Page 17 –
Framework Map South –
Framework Map North –
Page 20 –
Framework North –
TMP 32 -33 (Cliff Fox) -
Area South of Hollymead Town Center –
Page 27 –
Hollymead South Expansion –
Piney Mountain Southeast Expansion –
Piney Mountain North & East –
Piney Mountain West –
The Planning Commission will continue discussion of Chapter 6 at the August 28 meeting at 4:00 p.m.
Ms. Joseph asked if there was any old business. There being none, the meeting proceeded.
Ms Joseph asked if there was any new business.
· There will be a 4:00 p.m. work session on August 21 for the Airport Road Limited Partnership.
· Mr. Strucko will be absent on August 7.
· Mr. Edgerton and Mr. Morris said that they would be unavailable on August 21.
· The Commission will finish the review of Chapter 6, Community Facilities and Services on August 28 at 4:00 p.m. (Mr. Strucko indicated that he would be absent on August 28.)
· In the newspaper there were two pieces of good information. Belvedere has committed to being part of the LEED for the neighborhood development pilot program. It is the only one in all of Virginia. It ties directly in with the Neighborhood Model. The other piece of news was the response as represented in the paper that Mr. Dorrier was considering revisiting his opinion on phasing to slow down growth in the Rural Area based on the fact that the most recent survey of citizens said that over 70 percent of the citizens favored phasing as a vehicle.
There being no further items, the meeting proceeded.
With no further items, the meeting adjourned at 10:20 p.m. to the Tuesday, August 7, 2007 meeting at 6:00 p.m. at the County Office Building, Second Floor, Auditorium, 401 McIntire Road, Charlottesville, Virginia.
Go to next attachment
Return to exec summary