April 26, 2007
Terra Engineering & Land Solutions
415 4th Street NE
Charlottesville, VA 22902
RE: ZMA-2004-018 Fontana Phase 4C (Signs #37, 45)
Tax Map 78E Parcel A
Dear Mr. Driver:
The Albemarle County Planning Commission, at its meeting on April 17, 2007, unanimously recommended denial of ZMA-2004-00018, Fontana Phase 4C to the Board of Supervisors, based on traffic conditions that have not yet been addressed, and the following unfavorable factors listed in the staff report:
1. The “form” is not in keeping with the Neighborhood Model; however, it is similar to the previously approved Fontana subdivision and is the last phase of that development.
2. The density is not in keeping with the Land Use Plan, but, it is similar to the previously approved subdivision and is the last phase of the development.
3. Curb, gutter, and sidewalks on the west side Fontana Drive extended are not proposed.
4. Off-site drainage improvements in the developed part of Fontana are not appropriately provided to deal with run-off from this new section.
5. Although bonds are being held in the applicant’s name, the applicant has not agreed to complete all improvements in Phase 4B before beginning on Phase 4C because he has sold the lots in Phase 4B to a builder and no longer controls the ownership.
6. Traffic conditions on Fontana Drive have not been addressed.
Additionally, the Planning Commission unanimously denied all of the associated waiver requests as listed on page 19 of the staff report for ZMA-2004-018, Fontana Phase 4C, including the critical slopes waiver request.
Go to next attachment
Return to exec summary
Please be advised that the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors will review this petition and receive public comment at their meeting on August 8, 2007. It is the Board of Supervisor’s preference that a public hearing not be advertised until all of the final materials for a zoning application have been received by the County and are available for public review. To achieve this preference, please submit final plans, final codes of development, final proffers, and any other documents deemed necessary by the Director of Community Development, to our office no later than Monday, July 16, 2007. Please review the attached submission of materials policy established by the Board of Supervisors on December 7, 2005.
If you should have any questions or comments regarding the above noted action, please do not hesitate to contact me at (434) 296-5832.
Principal Planner for the Development Areas