COUNTY OF ALBEMARLE
SP 2007-11 Oak Ridge Church Picnic Pavilion
Construction of an 800 square foot picnic pavilion
LEGAL REVIEW: No
July 11, 2007
ACTION: x INFORMATION:
The Planning Commission held a public hearing for this project on June 12, 2007. At that meeting the Planning Commission directed staff to draft conditions of approval addressing the legally non-confirming status of Oak Ridge Church. The Commission requested the conditions establish the size of the existing sanctuary, indicate any day care or preschool held at the church would require a special use permit, and allow for a period of five years from approval to the commencement of the use.
Planning and zoning staff have researched previous standard conditions for legally non-conforming churches. Such standard conditions have been added to the conditions for this special use permit originally recommended in the staff report. Staff contacted the applicant to confirm the capacity of the existing sanctuary and review the additional conditions of approval.
With the addition of conditions 3, 4, and 5 to address the Commissions request staff and the Planning Commission recommend approval of SP 2007-11 Oak Ridge Church Picnic Pavilion with the following conditions:
1. Special Use Permit 2007-11 shall be developed in general accord with the concept application plan and building details, provided by the applicant and received February 26, 2007 (Attachment A.) However, the Zoning Administrator may approve revisions to the concept application plan to allow compliance with the Zoning Ordinance.
2. The picnic pavilion shall be limited to 800 square feet and shall not include bathroom facilities or vehicular access.
3. The area of assembly shall be limited to a maximum 195 seat sanctuary; occasional church gatherings beyond the normal capacity of the sanctuary shall be permitted.
4. There shall be no day care center or private school on site without approval of a separate special use permit.
5. Construction of the 800 square foot picnic pavilion shall commence within 5 years or this special use permit shall expire.
Staff Report and attachments
June 12 minutes
Return to regular agenda