COUNTY OF ALBEMARLE
Proposed FY 2007 Budget Amendment
Public Hearing on the Proposed FY 2007 Budget Amendment in the amount of $1,305,573.96 and request approval of amendment and of Appropriations #2007065, #2007066, #2007067, #2007068, #2007069, #2007070, #2007071, #2007072, #2007073, #2007074, #2007075, and #2007076 totaling $1,166,072.71 for provide funding for various local government, school, and capital programs.
Messrs. Tucker, Foley, Breeden, Wiggans
LEGAL REVIEW: Yes
May 2, 2007
ACTION: X INFORMATION:
The Code of Virginia §15.2-2507 stipulates that any locality may amend its budget to adjust the aggregate amount to be appropriated during the current fiscal year as shown in the currently adopted budget. However, any such amendment which exceeds one percent of the total expenditures shown in the currently adopted budget or the sum of $500,000, whichever is lesser, must be accomplished by first publishing a notice of a meeting and holding a public hearing before amending the budget. The Code section applies to all County funds, i.e., General Fund, Capital Fund, E-911, School Self-Sustaining, etc.
Goal 5: Develop a comprehensive funding strategy/plan to address the County’s growing needs.
The proposed increase of this FY 2007 Budget Amendment totals $1,305,573.96. The estimated expenses and revenues included in the proposed amendment are shown below:
General Fund $ 9,080.66
Special Revenue Funds $ 656,832.05
School Fund $ 270,833.30
School Program Funds $ 176,652.95
Emergency Communications Center $ 171,841.00
Capital Fund $ 11,000.00
Storm Water Fund $ 9,334.00
TOTAL ESTIMATED EXPENDITURES – All Funds $ 1,305,573.96
Local Revenues (Fees, Contributions, Donations, Proffers) $ 147,790.00
State Revenue $ 196,517.05
Federal Revenue $ 224,115.48
General Fund Balance $ 466,868.66
Other Fund Balances $ 270,282.77
TOTAL ESTIMATED REVENUES – All Funds $ 1,305,573.96
The budget amendment is comprised of twenty-two (22) separate appropriations, ten (10) of which have already been approved by the Board as indicated below:
Approved March 7, 2007:
· Two (2) appropriations (#2007027 and #2007059) totaling $15,477.05 for grants received by the Commission on Children and Families;
· Two (2) appropriations (#2007056 and #2007058) totaling $170,809.52 for various Education programs and grants;
· One (1) appropriation (#2007057) provides $50,000.00 for funding of the Regional Transit Authority Plan from the Board’s contingency;
· One (1) appropriation (#2007060) in the amount of $18,105.00 for a Police Department grant; and
· One (1) appropriation (#2007061) to refund $2,080.66 insurance proceeds to Stony Point Volunteer Fire Company
Approved April 4, 2007:
· Two (2) appropriations (#2007062 and #2007064) totaling $15,334.00 appropriating proffered funds for the 29N Corridor Study and storm water improvements; and
One (1) appropriation (#2007063) provides $22,993.43 for various education programs and grants
The twelve (12) new appropriations are as follows:
· One (1) appropriation (#2007065) provides $253,683.30 in funds for various Education programs;
· Five (5) appropriations (#2007066, #2007067, #2007068, #2007069 and #2007075) totaling $174,276.57 for Social Service grants;
· One (1) appropriation (#2007070) provides $18,362.00 in funding for a Department of Criminal Justice Grant for the Commission on Children and Families;
· One (1) appropriation (#2007071) providing $7,000.00 in state funds for Police Department overtime relating to the Foxfield Races;
· One (1) appropriation (#2007072) transferring unused funds in the amount of $71,121.84 from the Fire Billing Fund to the General Fund;
· One (1) appropriation (#2007073) providing $464,788.00 in funds for FY05/06 CSA overexpenditures;
· One (1) appropriation (#2007074) for a $5,000.00 donation from the Meriwether Lewis PTO for playground equipment replacement; and
· One (1) appropriation (#2007076) totaling $171,841.00 for projects at the Emergency Communications Center.
A detailed description of these requests is provided on Attachment A.
Staff recommends approval of the FY 2007 Budget Amendment in the amount of $1,305,573.96 after the public hearing, and then approval of Appropriations #2007065, #2007066, #2007067, #2007068, #2007069, #2007070, #2007071, #2007072, #2007073, #2007074, #2007075, and #2007076 to provide funds for various local government, school, and capital projects and programs as described in Attachment A.
A – Proposed Appropriations
Return to regular agenda