January 24, 2007
Valerie W. Long
321 East Main Street, Suite 400
Charlottesville, VA 22902
RE: SP 2006-034 North Pointe - Stream Crossing (Sign #8)
Tax Map 32 Parcel 22K
Dear Ms. Long:
The Albemarle County Planning Commission, at its meeting on January 9, 2007, unanimously recommended approval of the above-noted petition to the Board of Supervisors.
Please note that this approval is subject to the following conditions:
1. County and VDOT approval of the final lane configuration for the Northwest Passage over the stream crossing with the final road plans
2. County and VDOT approval of final design plans and hydrologic/hydraulic computations for the stream crossing.
3. The applicant must obtain a map revision, letter of revision, or letter of amendment as required from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and copy the County Engineer on all correspondence.
4. County approval of a grading and an erosion and sediment control plan prior to the issuance of a grading permit for modification of the existing stream crossing.
5. Natural Resources Manager approval of a stream buffer mitigation plan prior to the issuance of a grading permit for modification of the existing stream crossing
6. Provide an informal planting of mixed tree and shrub species and sizes to compensate for removed vegetation, and low-growing plants to stabilize slopes in the “proposed landscaping areas” shown on the plan submitted for ARB review entitled “Proposed Entry Layout with Landscaping North West Passage Intersection @ Route 29 North” with revision date of 12-04-06.
7. Provide large shade trees on the north and south sides of Northwest Passage, along the sidewalk and space reserved for the sidewalk, 2˝” caliper minimum at planting, 40’ on center, for a minimum distance of 400’ from the existing edge of pavement of Route 29 North.
8. Provide trees in the median of Northwest Passage, beginning at the point closest to Route 29 North that can be approved by VDOT and extending for a minimum distance of 400’ from the existing edge of pavement of Route 29 North. The planting shall take the form of a continuous informal mix of large, medium and small deciduous trees ranging from 1˝” to 2˝” caliper and evergreen trees ranging from 4’–6’ in height.
9. All of the above-noted landscaping shall be shown on the road plans submitted for Northwest Passage. The plans shall include a complete planting schedule keyed to the plan. The plans are subject to review of the ARB.
10. Design details of the retaining walls, including column cap design, pier design, stone finish, other materials, etc., culvert color, plant size and planting configuration shall be shown on the road plans and are subject to ARB approval as part of the review and approval of the road plans.
11. If the use, structure, or activity for which this special use permit is issued is not commenced within sixty (60) months after the permit is issued, the permit shall be deemed abandoned and the authority granted thereunder shall thereupon terminate.
The Commission also ruled that conditions 9 and 10 shall remain open for applicant and staff to review at and revise if necessary before the Board of Supervisors public hearing date.
Please be advised that the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors will review this petition and receive public comment at their meeting on February 14, 2007.
If you should have any questions or comments regarding the above noted action, please do not hesitate to contact me at (434) 296-5832.
Go to next attachment
Return exec summary
Natural Resources Manager