December 20, 2006
Lance J. Koth
Draper Aden Associates
8090 Villa Park Drive
Richmond, VA 23228
RE: SP 2006-021 Kappa Sigma International Headquarters (Sign #78)
Tax Map 91 Parcels 16 & 16D
Dear Mr. Koth:
The Albemarle County Planning Commission, at its meeting on December 5, 2006, unanimously recommended approval of the above-noted petition to the Board of Supervisors.
Please note that this approval is subject to the following conditions, which amend the original SP conditions. Additions are shown in bold and deletions are shown as strikethroughs:
The Kappa Sigma improvements and the scale and location of the improvements
shall be developed in general accord with the plan (Attachment C) entitled Kappa
Sigma Fraternity International Headquarters, prepared by Glave & Holmes
Associates and dated September 20, 2006, revised November 7, 2006.
The site shall
be developed in general accord with the plans, entitled Kappa sigma Fraternity
Headquarters, dated April 2, 2004;
2. Lighting of the site shall be limited as follows:
Light levels at
the property lines shall be no greater than 0.3 foot candles;
Light levels at
the property line shall be no greater than .001 foot candles;
b. No flood lighting of the building is permitted;
c. Only the parking lot north of the building shall be allowed pole lights;
d. Utilize bollard type lights in place of pole lights whenever possible. Use only full cutoff fixtures;
e. Site and building illumination shall be limited to the satisfaction of the ARB; and
f. The lighting for any recreational facility may only be inside the picnic pavilions. Lighting shall be excluded from other recreational areas.
3. Final site plans shall show a reservation, or provide a note, for future vehicular and pedestrian connections to adjacent parcels to the north and south;
A pedestrian connection from the future pedestrian/bike pathway on Route 20 into
the site shall be constructed with the site improvements. The pedestrian path
(from Route 20 to the building and aligned along the travelway as shown on the
revised application plan, dated September 20, 2006, revised November 7, 2006)
shall be constructed in accordance with Chapter 6 of the Design Standards
Final site plans shall show a pedestrian connection from the future
pedestrian/bike pathway on Route 20 into the site;
5. A right turn and taper shall be constructed at the entrance in Route 20 to the satisfaction of VDOT;
6. Landscaping shall be provided to limit the impact of the storm water area on the Entrance Corridor to the satisfaction of the ARB; and
7. The applicant shall construct public water service to the site via extension of the existing Albemarle County Service Authority water line located on the west side of Route 20 and public sewer service via extension of the existing Albemarle County Service Authority sewer line located along route 20 and the Cow Branch Creek, generally as provided in the report entitled, Preliminary Engineering Report Water and Sewer Facilities for Kappa Sigma Headquarters by Draper Aden Associates, dated march 30, 2004.
8. A plat to combine the parcels shall be submitted concurrent with the amended site plan submittal or an SP will be required.
9. All grass parking areas shall be “Grasspave” unless a product deemed equivalent is approved by the county engineer and the amended site plan shall include “Grasspave” manufacturers material specifications, requirements for installation, provisions for watering (ex. sprinkler system, etc.), and maintenance requirements (ex. fertilizing, watering, mowing, etc.) to the satisfaction of the county engineer.
Please be advised that the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors will review this petition and receive public comment at their meeting on January 10, 2007.
If you should have any questions or comments regarding the above noted action, please do not hesitate to contact me at (434) 296-5832.
Go to next attachment
Return to exec summary