November 27, 2006
Rev. Anthony Andres
795 Elk Mtn. Road
Afton VA 22920
RE: SP 2004-029 Holy Cross Episcopal Church (Sign #28);
2006-085 Holy Cross Episcopal Church
Tax Map 84 Parcel 61
Dear Rev. Andres:
The Albemarle County Planning Commission, at its meeting on November 7, 2006, unanimously recommended approval of SP-2004-029, Holy Cross Episcopal Church, subject to staff’s recommended conditions, as amended, with the deletion of conditions 4, 5, 6, 7 and 9 and to amend condition 1 to leave the date open for now until a new dated plan is submitted.
1. The church’s improvements and the scale and location of the improvements shall be developed in general accord with the conceptual plan entitled “Application Plan SP 2004-29” ,” prepared by Lum’s Land Surveys, Inc., and [insert new date when a new dated plan is submitted.]
2. There shall be no day care center or private school on site without approval of a separate special use permit;
3. Construction of the proposed addition shall commence within 5 years of the date of approval of this special use permit or the permit shall expire.
The proposed new entrance must be approved by the Virginia Department of
Transportation. The note requesting approval of continued use of the existing
entrance shall be removed from the conceptual plan. 5.
The existing entrance may be used as a right-turn-out-only exit, provided
that directional signage is provided to VDOT’s satisfaction. 6.
The design of the addition is subject to review and approval by the
Historic Preservation Planner. This review shall occur with the building permit
application. The Historic Preservation may require roof pitches, exterior
materials, and window designs similar to those of the existing church, as well
as minor changes to the footprint of the addition, as compared to the footprint
illustrated on the concept plan, for the purposes of protecting the historic
character of the existing church and/or providing sufficient visual
compatibility with the existing church. 7.
The applicants shall provide a vegetative buffer consisting of a mix of
evergreen and deciduous trees, including some fast growing species, along the
west property line to provide year-round screening. The buffer shall extend from
the edge of pavement of Route 635 southward 130’. The buffer shall have a
minimum width of 20’ except that the planting width may be reduced as necessary
at the entrance to the site from Route 635 to accommodate sight distance. The
vegetative buffer shall be planted prior to issuing a Certificate of Occupancy
for the addition. The vegetative buffer shall be shown on a site plan and is
subject to approval by the Landscape Planner.
8. Any new outdoor building and site lighting shall be provided by full cutoff fixtures. The note regarding the current lighting provisions shall be removed from the conceptual plan.
The applicants shall provide storm water management facilities to reduce
the impact of site drainage on properties downhill along Route 635 to the
satisfaction of the County Engineer. The facilities shall be shown on a site
Regarding SDP 2006-085
The Planning Commission unanimously approved SDP-2006-0085, Holy Cross Episcopal Church, subject to the following condition:
1. In accordance with Section 32.6.6.j. outdoor lighting information including a photometric plan and location, description, and photograph or diagram of each type of outdoor luminaire shall be submitted for any proposed lighting on the site.
Go to next attachment
Return to exec summary
Please be advised that the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors will review SP 2004-029 Holy Cross Episcopal Church and receive public comment at their meeting on December 6, 2006.
If you should have any questions or comments regarding the above noted action, please do not hesitate to contact me at (434) 296-5832.