February 17, 2006
460 Premier Circle
Charlottesville, VA 22901
RE: ARB-2005-171: Classic Furniture Outdoor Display - Advisory Review for a Special Use Permit - (Tax Map 61M, Parcel 2)
Dear Mr. Cox:
The Albemarle County Architectural Review Board, at its meeting on February 6, 2006, completed a preliminary review of the above-noted request. The Board took the following actions.
Regarding the Advisory Review for the Special Use Permit, the Board by a vote of 5:0, forwarded the following recommendation to the Planning Commission:
The ARB expresses no objection to the special use permit, subject to the following conditions:
1. Items shall be displayed only in the areas marked for display on the plan entitled “Classic Furniture Outdoor Display” and dated 2-6-6.
2. Items shall be displayed to achieve the appearance of a furnished patio. Beds and mattresses shall not be displayed.
3. Items for display shall not be stacked one atop another.
4. Items for display shall not be elevated anywhere on site.
5. Planters joined by black chain shall be used to delineate the boundaries of the display areas.
6. No new lighting is approved for the new display areas.
7. Add one 2˝” caliper tree to the island located at the interior of the parking row in front of the building and add one 2˝” caliper tree to the island at the east end of the parking row in front of the building.
8. Along the EC frontage, replace the row of shrubs closest to the parking spaces with evergreen screening shrubs to screen the parking lot. A holly that grows to a minimum of 2- 3’ in height would be appropriate.
9. Replace the missing tree along the EC frontage with a Kwanzan Cherry at 2 1/2” caliper.
10. Add one flowering Cherry tree along the EC for balance.
Regarding the Letter of Revision for the Minor Amendment, the Board approved allowing a letter of revision to be administratively approved by staff to update the site plan regarding the location of display areas and revised planting.
You may submit your application for continued ARB review at your earliest convenience. Application forms, checklists and schedules are available on-line at www.albemarle.org/planning.
Revised drawings addressing the comments listed above are required. Please include a memo outlining how each comment has been addressed. If changes other than those requested have been made, identify those changes in the memo also.
Return to staff report
If you have any questions concerning any of the above, please feel free to call me.