VDOT Virginia Scenic Byway Process
1. Anyone can request byway designation, but local government(s) must adopt a resolution of support.
2. Upon receipt of a request and historical documentation from an interested party/local government, the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) and the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) collect information on local zoning laws, traffic volumes and accident reports before evaluating the roads according to the criteria.
3. Based on a joint review according to the criteria, the DCR Director recommends qualifying roads for consideration by the CTB.
4. Before the CTB acts, VDOT offers the local government the opportunity to hold a public hearing. If a public hearing is requested, VDOTís Local Assistance Division and DCR will provide assistance.
5. After the public hearing, or if no hearing was requested, the CTB officially designates the byway(s) at their next scheduled meeting. Subsequently, signs are posted, and changes are made to the appropriate maps.
Go to next
Return to executive summary