COUNTY OF ALBEMARLE
SP 2004-00032 ST. NICHOLAS ORTHODOX CHURCH
& SITE PLAN WAIVER
A special use permit is requested to locate a church within an existing building in the Rural Areas.
PLANNING COMMISSION DATE:
July 19, 2005
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS DATE:
September 7, 2005
The applicant is requesting approval of SP 2004-032 to allow an existing 5,220 square foot building to be used for a church with a sanctuary of up to 100 seats. There is an existing parking area that provides 75 spaces for the church use. This proposal would include slightly reconfiguring the parking lot, improving the entrance to the property, and adding landscaping.
The site is 4.45 acres in size and is located along the scenic Route 250 west corridor. It has been historically used for retail. The property is zoned Rural Areas and Entrance Corridor and is designated Rural Area in the Comprehensive Plan.
This special use permit will allow appropriate reuse of a vacant building in the Rural Areas with minimal impacts. VDOT has identified a safety issue with entrances to the property, which the applicant has agreed to address.
Staff approval of SP 04-032 with the following conditions:
1. The site shall be developed in general accord with the plan entitled “Application Plan-SP 2004-0032”, prepared by Blackwell Engineering, PLC, revised July 2005.
2. The area of assembly shall be limited to 100-seat sanctuary;
3. There shall be no day care center or private school on site without approval of a separate special use permit;
4. The applicants shall secure VDOT approval of the entrance from Route 250, prior to the issuance of a zoning clearance for church use of the site.
5. No building expansions are permitted approval of a new special use permit.
Staff recommends approval of the site plan waiver, with the following conditions:
Go to staff report and attachments
Return to PC actions letter