Six Year Primary Plan Priority List
I. Undertake projects in CHART –UNJam 2025 (adopted may 3, 2004)
A. Improvements to Route 29 North Corridor:
1) Funding of 29H250 Phase II, Option B design recommendations; which emphasizes improving Rt. 29 to serve regional trips and changing the character of Hydraulic Road between Rt. 29 and Rt. 250 Bypass;
2) Berkmar Drive extension;
3) Hillsdale Drive extension;
4) Widening improvements to Route 29 North (3rd lane, from S.F. Rivanna River);
B. Construct Meadow Creek Parkway from Route 250 Bypass to Rio Road, *including interchange at the Route 250 Bypass.
C. Widening of Route 20 south (from I-64 to Mill Creek Drive), including bike lanes and sidewalks.
D. Funding of the TransDominion Express.
E. Improvements to Route 250:
1) Improve Route 250 West from Emmet Street to the Route 29/250 Bypass;
2) Maintain current two-lane road configuration from the Bypass to Yancey Mills, reflective it character as a Scenic Virginia Byway;
3) *Spot improvements to intersections in Ivy at Routes 678 and 637
F. Improve Route 240 in accord with the recommendations of the Crozet Master Plan.
G. Widen Route 20 North, from Route 250 to Elks Drive/Fontaine Drive intersection, including bike lanes and sidewalks.
H. Improve Fontaine Avenue consistent from Jefferson Park Avenue to its terminus consistent with recommendations identified by the Fontaine Avenue Task Force.
I. Recognize mass transit as can relieve traffic congestion and is an alternative to road construction and shift funds from road construction to mass transit to accomplish this.
Note: The Town of Scottsville has requested that the intersections of Route 20 (Valley Street) with both Warren Street and Hardware Street be improved.
II. Safety Improvements
J. Construction of pedestrian walkways
1) Route 240 in downtown Crozet;
2) Route 20 South from City limits to Mill Creek Drive extended as part of Route 20 widening project;
3) Route 250 East in Pantops as an extension from the existing sidewalks;
4) Route 250 West from the City limits the to Farmington entrance(s).
III. Enhancement Projects
K. Pedestrian Streetscape improvements in downtown Crozet
L. Beautification of entrance corridors
M. Construction of Bikeway, pedestrian, and greenway improvements as prioritized in the Jefferson Area Bicycle, Pedestrian and Greenways Plan and the County’s Comprehensive Plan
N. Development of portions of the Rivanna River Greenway path system.
O. Removal of non-conforming billboards.
IV. National Highway System (NHS)
P. The Charlottesville-Albemarle MPO Policy Board approved the NHS as proposed by VDOT in this area excluding the Route 29 Bypass.
Return to executive summary