July 12, 2005
PO Box 1288
Charlottesville, VA 22902
RE: SP 2005-00014 Crown Orchard – Gray Television Amendment - Tax Map 91, Parcel 28I
Dear Ms. Long:
The Albemarle County Planning Commission, at its meeting on June 28, 2005, by a vote of 5:0 recommended approval of the above-noted petition to the Board of Supervisors.
Please note that this approval is subject to the following conditions:
1. The facility including the tower, its attachments and the new ground equipment building shall be sized, located and built in general accord with the construction plans, tower elevations and schematic drawings initialed SBW and dated May 5, 2004 and initialed YQA and dated June 16, 2005 subject to maximum height and width restrictions in conditions three (3) and five (5). This information is provided in Attachment G of this staff report.
2. Prior to the issuance of a building permit, the applicant shall submit the final revised set of site drawings construction of the facility. Planning staff shall review the revised plans to ensure that all appropriate conditions of the special use permit have been addressed.
3. The height of the tower structure shall not exceed one hundred fifty (150) feet and the top of the antenna, including the lightning rod, shall not exceed one hundred ninety (190) feet above ground level. No equipment, with the exception of any FAA required flight safety lighting, shall extend higher than the tallest portion of the top-mounted antenna.
4. Antennas supporting services other than television broadcasting shall not be attached to extend above a total height of the tower itself.
5. The width of each side of the tower shall not exceed fifty (50) inches in width.
6. The existing guyed tower that currently supports this facility shall be removed within sixty (60) days of the completion of the new tower. This condition has been met as of 6/28/05.
7. The short existing tower, owned by Adelphia Cable Company shall be removed within ninety (90) days of the discontinuance of its use and in any case no later than October 31, 2004. This condition has been met as of 6/28/05.
8. The new ground equipment building shall be painted a natural, dark brown color, and screened on its eastern and western sides with evergreens or a mixture of trees deemed acceptable by the County’s Landscape Planner.
9. No building permit for additional antenna installation or modification shall be issued until the unauthorized microwave dish is removed.
10. The existing Gray TV antenna on the PBS tower located on Tax Map 91, Parcel 28E shall be removed within 90 days after the new antenna authorized by this special use permit is operational.
View staff report
View PC minutes
Return to regular agenda
Please be advised that the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors will review this petition and receive public comment at their meeting on August 3, 2005. Any new or additional information regarding your application must be submitted to the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors at least seven days prior to your scheduled hearing date.
If you should have any questions or comments regarding the above noted action, please do not hesitate to contact me at (434) 296-5832.