COUNTY OF ALBEMARLE
SP-2004-31 Gym at Seminole Place (Signs #24 & 15)
Request for special use permit to allow establishment of an indoor gym in accor-dance with Section 27.2.2(15) of the Zoning Ordinance which allows for indoor athletic facilities in an LI, Light Industrial district. The property, described as Tax Map 61W Section 3 Parcel 18 contains 25.4 acres, and is zoned LI, Light Industrial and EC, Entrance Corridor. The proposal is located on the south side of Greenbrier Drive (Route 866) in the former Comdial building, on the west side of Seminole Trail (Route 29 North), in the Rio Magisterial District. The Comprehensive Plan designates this property as Industrial Service in Neighborhood One.
Cilimberg, Benish, Echols
April 6, 2005
ACTION: X INFORMATION:
On March 1, 2005, the Planning Commission reviewed this request and recommended approval contingent on rewording of the conditions for clarification and to state that the permit was for the existing building only, not a possible future building should the Comdial facility ever be removed.
Strategic Direction 2: Protect the Countyís natural, scenic and historic resources.
Strategic Direction 3: Enhance the Quality of Life for all Albemarle County Citizens
Staff has modified the conditions to reflect the Commissionís request.
Staff and the Planning Commission recommended approval of the special use permit with the following conditions:
1. This Special Use Permit (SP 2004-031) for an indoor athletic facility is granted for up to 60,000 square feet of area within the existing physical building itself and not simply the footprint of the building. Any enlargement of the area of use beyond the 60,000 square feet will require amendment of this Special Permit.
2. The indoor athletic facility shall have no more than 3500 members.
3. Pedestrian access shall be provided along at least one side of the existing entrance road from Greenbrier Drive to the site, as shown on the attached concept plan submitted as part of the Special Use Permit application (dated September 3, 2004, revised March 24, 2005 and initialed by TRS). The pedestrian path shall consist of striping of a pedestrian way on the street or shoulder of the existing entrance road, if approved by VDOT, or a concrete or asphalt path meeting the standards in the Design Standards manual. The pedestrian path shall be in place prior to the issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy for the indoor athletic facility.
4. The existing driveway access to the site from Commonwealth Drive shall be upgraded as necessary to accommodate two-way traffic, to the satisfaction of the County Engineer.
5. The gated access to the site from Commonwealth Drive shall remain open during all hours the indoor athletic facility is open for business.
ATTACHMENT: Concept Plan for Gym at Seminole Place (included with conditions)
Go to PC actions letter
Return to regular agenda