ALBEMARLE COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
POLICY FOR BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS
A. CREATION OF NEW BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS
1. On an annual basis the list of active boards and commissions will be purged of all bodies not required by Federal, State, County or other regulations, which have not met at least once during the prior twelve-month period.
2. Whenever possible and appropriate, the functions and activities of boards and commissions will be combined, rather than encouraging the creation of new bodies.
3. All newly created county-wide
boards and commissions which will have the power to impact the health, safety
and welfare of all the residents of the County, will be comprised of
representatives from each of the magisterial districts. These representatives
will be appointed by the members of the Board of Supervisors following the
same appointment procedure adopted in Section B for other magisterial
3. Any newly created task force or ad hoc committee which is
intended to serve for a limited time period may be comprised of magisterial or
at-large members at the discretion of the Board of Supervisors. The
appointment process shall follow that adopted in Section B for other
magisterial and/or at-large positions.
B. APPOINTMENTS TO BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS
1. All appointments to boards and commissions based upon magisterial district boundaries will be made by the members of the Board of Supervisors. All magisterial positions will be advertised. At the discretion of the supervisor of that district, selected applicants may be interviewed for the position.
2. Prior to each day Board meeting, the Clerk will provide the Board a list of vacancies that will occur within the next 60 days. The Board will then advise the Clerk which vacancies to advertise.
3. In an effort to reach as
many citizens as possible, notice of boards and commissions with
appointment positions available will be published through
available venues, such as, but not limited to, the Countyís website, A-mail,
public service announcements
twice and local
newspapers. listing boards and commissions with appointment positions
available. Interested citizens will be provided a brief description of
the duties and functions of each board, length of term of the appointment,
frequency of meetings, and qualifications necessary to fill the position. An
explanation of the appointment process for both magisterial and at-large
appointments will also be sent to all applicants.
4. All interested applicants will have a minimum of thirty days from the date of the first notice to complete and return to the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors a detailed application, with the understanding that such application may be released to the public, if requested. No applications will be accepted if they are postmarked after the advertised deadline, however, the Board, at its discretion, may extend the deadline.
5. Once the deadline for accepting applications is reached, the Clerk will distribute all applications received to the members of the Board of Supervisors prior to the day meeting for their review. For magisterial appointments, the Clerk will forward applications as they are received to the supervisor of that district who will then recommend his/her appointment.
6. From the pool of qualified candidates, the Board of Supervisors, at their discretion, may make an appointment without conducting an interview, or may select applicants to interview for the vacant positions. The Clerk will then schedule interviews with applicants to be held during the next day meeting. For magisterial appointments, the decision to interview selected candidates will be determined by the supervisor of that district.
7. The members of the Board of
Supervisors will conduct interviews beginning with applicants for appointments
with the earliest effective dates.
7. All efforts will be made to interview selected
applicants and make appointments within ninety days after the application
deadline. Selected applicants will be interviewed within sixty days
of the close of the application period, and all appointments will be made no
later than ninety days after the application deadline. For designated
agency appointments to boards and commissions, the agency will be asked to
recommend a person for appointment by the Board of Supervisors.
8. All vacancies will be filled as they occur.
9. All incumbents will
be allowed to serve on a board or commission without his/her position being
readvertised unless, based on attendance and performance, the chairman of the
body or a member of the Board of Supervisors requests the Board of Supervisors
to do otherwise.
10. If a member of a board
or commission does not participate in at least fifty percent of a boardís or
commissionís meetings, the chairman of the body may request the Board of
Supervisors terminate the appointment and refill it during the next scheduled
This policy shall be reviewed and readopted by the Board of Supervisors in January.
(Amended and/or Readopted 01-07-98)
* * * * *
Return to consent agenda
Return to regular agenda