COUNTY OF ALBEMARLE
ARB Sign Guidelines Update
Public hearing on draft revisions to the ARB sign guidelines
Tucker, Foley, Davis, Kamptner, Cilimberg, Maliszewski
LEGAL REVIEW: Yes
October 13, 2004
ACTION: X INFORMATION:
The Board of Supervisors held a work session on the ARB’s draft revisions to the Sign Guidelines on September 1, 2004. The Board requested minimal changes to the draft and set the public hearing date for October 13, 2004. The requested changes were:
1) Provide further clarification on harmonious colors.
2) Provide further clarification regarding scale and proportion, preferably with the identification of specific acceptable ratios.
3) Provide further clarification regarding a sign “overcrowding” an architectural element.
The ARB reviewed and approved these proposed guidelines at its September 7, 2004 meeting. The proposed guidelines are now before the Board for ratification.
Strategic Direction 2: Protect the County’s natural, scenic and historic resources.
The September 1, 2004 draft of the ARB’s sign guidelines has been revised (See Attachment B) to incorporate the changes requested by the Board of Supervisors as follows:
1) Regarding harmonious colors:
· Appendix B “Harmonious Colors” has been added. (See page 30.)
· The appendix includes a color wheel and definitions of the four standard types of “harmonious” colors: monochromatic, analogous, triadic, and complementary.
· The information under “Color” on page 5 has been updated to reference the new appendix. The added sentence is “For more information on harmonious colors, go to Appendix B.”
2) Regarding scale and proportion:
· The discussion of scale and proportion on page 8 has been updated to provide sample ratios of sign size to wall size that are considered to be appropriate. The new text is found in the first paragraph on page 8 and begins, “Typically, a ratio of 1/3 text to 2/3 wall area . . .” The added text continues to the end of the paragraph.
3) Regarding “overcrowding” an architectural element:
· The text under #4 on page 22 has been expanded to include an example of appropriate sign size within a sign band on a wall. The text begins, “For example, an appropriate height for channel letters in a 30” high sign band is . . . .” The new text continues to the end of the paragraph.
· The illustration at the bottom of page 22 has been added for further clarification.
As indicated in the September work session, to maintain coordination among documents, the guidelines for fuel pump canopies in the ARB Design Guidelines must also be updated to correspond to the revised sign guidelines. See Attachment A for the proposed change (guideline #4).
1) Ratify the ARB Sign Guidelines as revised.
2) Ratify the Architectural Review Board Guidelines for Fuel Pump Canopies as revised.
Attachment A - Architectural Review Board Guidelines for Fuel Pump Canopies
Attachment B - Sign Guidelines (Revised Draft)
Return to regular agenda