May 17, 2004
McGuire Woods, LLP
Court Square Building
310 4th Street
Charlottesville, VA 22902
RE: SP-2004-003 WHSV/Channel 19 – Charlottesville (Sign #24 & 29)
Tax Map 91, Parcel 28I
Dear Ms. Long:
The Albemarle County Planning Commission, at its meeting on May 11, 2004, by a vote of 7:0, recommended approval of the above-noted petition to the Board of Supervisors. Please note that this approval is subject to the following conditions:
1. The facility including the tower, its attachments and the new ground equipment building shall be sized, located and built in general accord with the construction plans, tower elevations and schematic drawings initialed SBW and dated May 5, 2004 subject to maximum height and width restrictions in conditions 3 and 5. This information is provided in Attachment B of this staff report.
2. Prior to the issuance of a building permit, the applicant shall submit the final revised set of site drawings construction of the facility. Planning staff shall review the revised plans to ensure that all appropriate conditions of the special use permit have been addressed.
3. The height of the tower structure shall not exceed 150 feet and the top of the antenna, including the lightning rod, shall not exceed 190 feet above ground level. No equipment, with the exception of any FAA required flight safety lighting, shall extend higher than the tallest portion of the top-mounted antenna.
4. Antennas supporting services other than television broadcasting shall not be attached to extend above a total height of the tower itself.
5. The width of each side of the tower shall not exceed 50 inches in width.
6. The existing guyed tower that currently supports this facility shall be removed within 60 days of the completion of the new tower.
7. The short existing tower, owned by Adelphia Cable Company shall be removed within 90 days of the discontinuance of its use and in any case no later than October 31, 2004
8. The new ground equipment building shall be painted a natural, dark brown color, and screened on its eastern and western sides with evergreens or a mixture of trees deemed acceptable by the County’s Landscape Planner.
9. There shall be annual verification by a source acceptable to the County Department of Engineering on radio frequency emissions. (Staff will work on the language of the condition to address the Commission’s concerns that the property owner of the tower farm shall provide the County with an annual report on radio frequency emissions regarding health, safety and welfare.)
View staff report
View PC minutes
Return to regular agenda
Please be advised that the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors will review this petition and receive public comment at their meeting on June 2, 2004. Any new or additional information regarding your application must be submitted to the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors at least seven days prior to your scheduled hearing date.
If you should have any questions or comments regarding the above noted action, please do not hesitate to contact me (434) 296-5823.