Priority Policy and Implementation Issues
Neighborhood Model Implementation
1. Modify Comprehensive Plan - Complete
2. Modify Community Facilities Plan - Anticipated Completion, May 2004. The Planning Commission has held two work sessions. Solid Waste, Parks, and Administrative sections are being managed under separate efforts and, depending on the timing, will be either incorporated with this revision or a later revision.
3. Regulatory Changes
A. Shared Driveways / Alleys - Complete
B. Volume 2 Subdivision Changes - Initial public discussion held in July and comments addressed. Planning Commission public hearing scheduled for January 20th. Board work session planned for February 4th.
C. Neighborhood Model District - Complete
D. Critical Slopes - On Hold. Work on critical slopes has been postponed to staff relegated parking. Work on critical slopes will start once relegated parking is completed.
E. Volume 2 Zoning Changes - Changes have been drafted and focused discussion with public scheduled for late February 2004. Will come to Planning Commission after comments have been considered.
F. Relegated Parking - Planning Commission has completed worksessions and a public focused discussion is being scheduled. After comments are incorporated, will be brought back to Planning Commission after comments from the focused discussion have been considered.
4. Master Planning
A. Crozet Master Plan - Planning Commission worksessions complete in December. Anticipate Planning Commission action in January, then forwarded to Board for consideration.
B. Second Master Plan - Area established by Board. Staff currently preparing to contract for consultant, with work to start mid-year. Coordinating this effort with the U.S. 29 transportation corridor study being contracted.
5. Infrastructure and Services
A. Subdivision Street Standards
1. Under current VDOT regulations - Complete. An interim agreement has been reached with VDOT on how Neighborhood Model streets will be accommodated under the current regulations. While this accomplishes many of the County's goals for streets, revisions to the VDOT regulations are needed to accomplish anything else.
2. Revisions to VDOT Regulations - Anticipate Completion, January 2005. Participation on VDOT Subdivision Street Regulations Committee has completed draft regulations which will be distributed for statewide public comment in early 2004. Anticipate Commonwealth Transportation Board public hearing July 2004 on revisions and revisions effective by January 2005. This revision will not address all of the County's goals for streets, but does satisfactorily address the major issues.
B. Water and Sewer Provisions - Complete, agreement reached on streets issues that allows public utilities in the street.
C. Fire Protection Provisions - Complete, agreement reached on street issues that matches fire equipment to proposed street cross sections.
6. Affordable Housing –Planning Commission Public Hearing held in October 2003. Board work session on January 7th. No public hearing date set at this time.
7. Parks and Recreation Facilities - Anticipated Completion, May 2004. Parks and Recreation Needs Assessment nearing completion. A next step to be determined upon review of needs assessment.
8. Promoting Infill - Ongoing. Workload related to ZMAs very heavy. North Pointe requiring an especially high level of staff resources.
Committee has completed its
study and presented recommendation to
2. Ordinance language drafted and will be taken to focused discussion in January for public input. Planning Commission work session will be scheduled once comments from public have been compiled and addressed.
3. Anticipate before Planning Commission in March. Anticipate before Board in May.
Rural Area Comprehensive Plan Revisions
1. Updated staff report has been completed and under public review.
2. Planning Commission public hearing on December 16th. Planning Commission is holding additional work sessions and considering the next steps in developing a recommendation.
3. Mountain Protection work will commence following review of Rural Area revisions. No timeline has been set for this work.
Focused Sign Amendments - Ordinance language drafted. Focused discussion for public input planned for February. Planning Commission to follow consideration of public input.
Strategic Plan Initiatives
1. Implementation strategy for completed neighborhood master plans. - Completed strategy, developing action plans to be put in place with anticipated adoption of Crozet Master Plan.
2. Implementation strategy for County's rural area policies - Strategies being developed concurrently with consideration of the rural area plan.
3. Integrated water resources plan - Scheduled for completion December 2004. Staff currently devoting efforts to groundwater ordinance and implementation of that program.
4. Long-term solid waste strategy - Scheduled for completion July 2004. Steering committee has been formed and has provided staff recommendations on proceeding.
Community Development Department Reorganization
1. Work processes developed and operating procedures being established.
2. FY '05 budget request submitted in November.
3. Central filing and intake to start end of January with Building and Zoning applications. Next step will be Engineering's applications, followed by Planning's applications. Anticipate fully operational by May.
4. Engineering Inspections shifted to Building and Inspections on January 5th.
5. New development tracking database (CityView) to become operational on February 2nd.
6. Transition still scheduled to be completed by June.
Additional Policy and Implementation Issues
These are the other efforts currently underway. They are not presented in order of priority and often proceed independent of the priority issues. When conflicts over resources occur, the priority issues are addressed first.
Development tracking database (CityView) - Final product to be implemented in February. Training completed in December.
29H250 Phase II Study - Phase II kick-off in October. Work being done by a consultant with guidance from a City/County/TJPDC work group. Report anticipated in March. Phase 3 contract being negotiated. Phase 3 to consider U.S. 29 corridor and would start when Phase 2 report is completed.
Stormwater Master Plan - A draft report has been completed and is being reviewed by staff. Anticipate bringing before Board in early 2004 for information and agreement on implementation process. Implementation issues, including financing recommendations, will be considered before bringing this to the Planning Commission and Board for consideration as part of the Comprehensive Plan.
Zoning/Subdivision Text Amendments - Work on the priority issues is addressed before assignments are made on these.
1. Phase 2 Lighting Changes
2. Temporary Events
3. Home Occupations
4. Building Sites
5. Contractor's office and equipment storage
6. Plat coordinate referencing for GIS
7. Housekeeping, clarification of interpretations of the ordinance
Historic Committee – Working on implementation of Board approved “Top Ten” priorities.
Other Transportation – Staff is actively involved with the MPO, TJPDC and citizen committees on the major update of the region’s transportation plans (CHART/UnJam).