The Route 29 Solutions Package represents a $230 million investment into the improvement of Albemarle County’s infrastructure that will address congestion in the Route 29 corridor. The Solutions Package is designed to improve mobility in this critical transportation corridor through new road construction, existing roadway improvements, streamlined signalization and funding for increased rail service.
The Route 29 Solutions Package was approved by the Commonwealth Transportation Board (CTB) on June 18, 2014 in the 2015-2020 update to the Six-Year Improvement Program (SYIP). The plan has been approved by the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors, Charlottesville City Council, and the Metropolitan Planning Organization. The improvements include four existing projects that received additional funding to complete construction:
- Route 29/250 interchange improvements
- Hillsdale Drive Extension
- Widening of Route 29 and improvement of road geometry from Polo Grounds Road to Town Center Drive
- Adaptive signal technology on Route 29
Three new projects were also added to the SYIP, with full funding to complete construction:
- Hillsdale Drive extension south to Holiday Drive
- Berkmar Drive extension north to Hollymead Town Center
- Route 29/Rio Road grade-separated intersection
Funding for study and preliminary engineering for improvements to the intersection of Hydraulic Road and Route 29 is included in the Route 29 Solutions package. At the request of the City of Charlottesville, VDOT agreed to include the extension of Hillsdale Drive south to Holiday Drive in the Hydraulic Road intersection study.
The CTB also approved full funding for a second passenger train between Lynchburg and Washington, D.C.
News of Interest: