Email Sign-Up
Sign up for A-Mail to receive news and updates.
Click here >>



Resources for Flood Recovery

After the devastating flooding throughout Albemarle County over the last week, it’s time for our community to turn our attention to recovery. The County has prepared this document for you with information on precautions, cleanup, assessing damage, and potential assistance opportunities.

Damage Assessment Reports Sought
The Charlottesville-UVA-Albemarle Emergency Operations Center (EOC) will continue taking flood damage reports through the end of this week for any storm-related damage that occurred between the evening of May 30 through May 31, 2018. The purpose of these reports is to catalog a comprehensive overview of the impact of the damage to our region. Once received, the EOC will analyze the reports to see if our region can qualify for a Federal Declaration of Emergency, which could lead to the potential for individual assistance.

To make a report, please call 434-971-1263. If your call is not answered, please leave a message and your call will be returned. When you call, please be prepared with the property owner’s name and phone number; renter’s name and phone number, if applicable; property address; insurance information (including renters’ and flood, if applicable); and type of structure.

Agricultural Losses
The USDA has a number of fact sheets that may relate to potential assistance available for agricultural flood damage:

  1. Emergency Assistance for Livestock, honeybees, and Farm-Raised Fish – may help with deaths of animals or additional expenses such as food, water, hives etc.
  2. Livestock Indemnity Program – may help with livestock deaths
  3. Tree Assistance Program – may help with death or rehabilitation of trees or bushes used to produce agricultural commodities (apple tree, grape vines, blueberry bushes etc.)
  4. Emergency Conservation Program – may help with debris removal, fencing etc.
  5. Emergency Forestry Restoration Program – may help with replanting trees and forest areas
  6. Farm Loans – may loan money to help rebuild or mitigate losses

If you have experienced agricultural losses related to the May 30 storm, please contact the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) – Farm Service Agency Office at 540-967-0091. It is recommended to capture as much documentation as possible. Suggested documentation includes pictures, measurements, and damage estimates in dollars. According to the USDA, there is a small window to report agricultural losses and damage – this is very time-sensitive.

Albemarle County Sponsoring Week of Free Vegetative Disposal at Ivy MUC
Albemarle County is sponsoring a week of free disposal of vegetative debris for County residents at the Ivy Material Utilization Center (Ivy MUC). For more information, call the Rivanna Service Water Authority at (434) 977-2970.

Clean-up and Safety
There is a wealth of information from a variety of agencies with clean-up and safety tips following a flood including:

Return to Newsroom

Featured Events
Court Square as a Public Space
7/20/2020, 6:00 PM
Virtual Meeting
Joint Places29 Community Advisory Committee
7/23/2020, 6:00 PM
Virtual Meeting
Court Square Community Conversation
7/24/2020, 12:00 PM
Virtual Meeting
Board of Supervisors Public Hearing on Monuments & Memorials at Court Square
8/6/2020, 6:00 PM
Virtual Meeting

View All >>
Links of Interest