Building Services Department
Full-Time, 12 Months
The Custodian performs semi-skilled work in cleaning/sanitizing an assigned area of a school building by following prescribed cleaning frequencies. Cleans and refinishes hard and soft floor surfaces, moves furniture, and maintains the immediate perimeter of school grounds. Works under limited supervision by following a frequency of task assignment, using prescribed chemicals and machinery. This position is designated as "Essential Personnel", requiring that employees report to work during emergency situations, snow and ice removal. Essential functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Adheres to safety procedures and proper workplace ergonomics;
- Removes trash and recyclables, sweeps, dust mops, vacuums, sanitizes restrooms, cleans glass, cleans horizontal and vertical surfaces, restocks paper and soap dispensers;
- Is responsible for the proper care and storage of all cleaning equipment and cleaning materials;
- Responds to a variety of requests from school administrators and staff to include minor maintenance, moving furniture, unloading and storing deliveries, setting up for functions and student activities;
- Attends to various internal and external user groups;
- Follows Blood-Borne Pathogen procedures, responds to accidents or potential safety hazards which may require contact with chemical spills, blood, or other bodily fluids;
- Uses various pieces of power equipment to include riding scrubbers, burnishers, rotary machines, pressure washers, drills, carpet extractors, vacuums, and specialty equipment;
- Opens and/or secures the building; minimizes the risk of property damage and potential liability to the organization;
- Maintains building perimeter by sweeping walkways, mowing grass, removing weeds trimming shrubbery, and shoveling snow;
- Performs other duties as requested.
QUALIFICATIONS: Any combination of education and experience equivalent to completion of high school. Prefer work experience in a customer service, industrial, or janitorial work setting. Prefer experience with planning work tasks, prioritizing, and maintaining inventory records. SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Satisfactory health condition in order to meet the physical requirements of the job. Negative drug screening and negative tuberculin test required. Possession of a valid driver's license issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Must be able to follow direction, work independently, perform basic math to include computation of dilution ratios towards the proper mixture of cleaning solutions; ability to use personal computer and email applications, and operate industrial cleaning maintenance equipment. Must work well in a team setting, demonstrate effective communication skills and positive customer service skills. Must exercise good judgment and balance needs of various customer user-groups. Ability to coordinate work activities, handle complaints, express a service-oriented attitude and to get along with others is essential.
PHYSICAL CONDITIONS & NATURE OF WORK CONTACTS: Work is typically performed walking, standing, bending or reaching and is physically repetitive. Must be able to lift objects weighing up to 10 pounds continuously, up to 25 pounds frequently, and up to 75 pounds occasionally. Occasionally exposed to extreme temperatures, and weather conditions such as snow and ice. May be exposed to potentially hazardous substances. Flexible shift work required, weekend work may be required. Daily contact with teachers, students, administration, the general public and other personnel.
SALARY: $9.41 - $11.29/hour, depending on experience and qualifications plus shift differential for evening and night shifts
Albemarle County offers a very generous employee benefit program, including medical, dental and retirement programs, paid holidays, vacation and a host of other benefits options.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Until Filled
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: Hiring for Albemarle County shall be accomplished without regard to race, color, religion, national origin,
gender, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status or disability unless otherwise permitted by
County policy or applicable law. Applicants hired by the County must be citizens of the United States or legally authorized to work
in the United States. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for persons with disabilities if requested.
Return to Job Openings