Parks & Recreation   |  Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Are pets welcome at County parks?
A: Pets that are on a leash are allowed at most County parks. Pets are not allowed at Ivy Creek or Ragged Mountain Natural Areas or on beaches. Darden Towe Dog Park features a 1-acre fenced-in area for dogs to run off-leash and provides a leisurely opportunity for you and your dog.  Chris Greene Lake Park has 1 acre fenced in for dogs off leash with a roped water access for dogs to swim.
Q: Which parks have River Access?
A: Darden Towe Park is the only Albemarle County park with river access. The Rivanna River is available for fishing and boating.
Q: Does Albemarle County's Parks and Recreation offer classes or sports?
A: Yes. Dance, yoga, karate, fitness, sports and special interest classes are offered at various locations throughout Albemarle County. In addition, several youth and adult sports programs are offered throughout the year. Check this website often for the latest information.
Q: Is hunting allowed at County parks?
A: Hunting is strictly prohibited at all County parks.  The discharge of firearms or weapons of any type is strictly prohibited at all County parks. 
Q: Are the County's swimming beaches supervised by lifeguards?
A: Yes; all County swimming beaches are supervised by certified lifeguards during the summer swimming season. 
Q: How can I reserve a picnic shelter at an Albemarle County park?

To reserve click on Picnic shelters.  

Q: Is there a fee to enter County parks?
A: There is a park user fee charged between Memorial Day Weekend and Labor Day Weekend at Chris Greene, Mint Springs, and Walnut Creek Parks. There is no fee for any other parks. Click here for fee information.
Q: Are alcoholic beverages allowed?
A: Alcohol is prohibited at all Albemarle County Parks.
Q: Do I need a license to fish at County parks?
A: Yes; a Virginia State Fishing License is required for those seeking to fish at County parks. The lakes are stocked with ample supplies of sunfish, channel catfish, and largemouth bass. A trout fishing license is required to fish at Mint Springs Valley Park from October to June.

Biscuit Run Park - Update  
On-line Registration, Reserve Shelter or Facility, or buy a Swim Pass  
Contact the Department
Parks and Recreation
401 McIntire Road
Room 118
Charlottesville, VA 22902
FAX: 434-293-0299
Email the Department