Northside Library Project
Proposed Library Schematic
The Northside Library project will provide a permanent location for the Northside Library at 705 Rio Road (former Phillips Building) and also will provide long-term County warehouse/ storage space at a significant cost savings to the County. The new facility, involving repurposing of an existing building, will provide approximately 30,000 square feet of library space, and over 20,000 square feet of warehouse space. Construction is anticipated to begin in early 2014 with completion late 2014/early 2015.
Update: July 7, 2014
Undercut of unsuitable soils (front and side)
South & north stairwell walls poured
Air handler placed
Mechanical, electrical, and plumbing lines installed
New fire line installed
Update: April 30, 2014
Project construction is now underway, with Kenbridge Construction as the General Contractor. The County is planning on substantial completion / occupancy of the renovated library in mid-January, 2015, instead of mid-October, 2014, in order to accommodate all necessary work so there will be a short-term extension of the lease at Albemarle Square. Additional details will be shared as they are available.
- NEW! Architectural Review Board Meeting - Monday, December 2, 2013 - 1:00 p.m. - Board Room (Room 214), County Office Building, 401 McIntire Road, Charlottesville - The Northside Library project will be discussed. The meeting is open to the public and public comment is welcome.
- Community Meeting #3 - Thursday, November 7, 2013 - 7:00 p.m. - Northside Library, Albemarle Square
- Informational Open House - Wednesday, October 9, 2013 - 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. - 2nd Floor, County Office Building, 401 McIntire Road
Following two public meetings, the consultant has developed preliminary design concepts. At the open house, the public will have an opportunity to view the progress of the design (site, interior and exterior), renderings of the design will be on display and ask questions and provide feedback to the architect and staff on the design team. An opportunity for public input will be provided during the Board of Supervisors work session following the Open House.
- Updated Plan Materials - 9/26/13
- Community Meeting #2 - Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 7:00 p.m. - Northside Library, Albemarle Square
- Perspective Site Plan Information
- Community Meeting #1 - Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 7:00 p.m. - Northside Library, Albemarle Square
Library Design Team:
Architects: Peter Bolek, James Shook (HBM)
Comments & Questions:
The Northside Library project is being managed by the Office of Facilities Development (434) 872-4501 and the contact is Ron Lilley at email@example.com.