Community Development  |  Historic Preservation
brown-horizontal-line

Historic Preservation Home

Historic Resource Definition

Top Priorities

Committee Projects

National Register of Historic Places

Local Preservation Organizations

 
"History, by apprising them of the past,
will enable them to judge of the future."
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1786

The Albemarle County Historic Preservation Committee is charged with protecting the County's historic and cultureal resources. The Committee takes an active role in identifying and documenting structures of importance to the community.

The Historic Preservation Plan was adopted by the Board of Supervisors on September 6, 2000 and was prepared by a Historic Preservation Committee that was appointed by the Board in May 1995. The Historic Preservation Plan is an amendment to the Comprehensive Plan, and provides a framework for public involvement in protecting the community's historic resources. It reviews the County's history, and emphasizes education, financial incentives, and partnerships among all interest groups.

HISTORIC PRESERVATION COMMITTEE
Jared Loewenstein, Chairman K. Edward Lay
Betsy Baten Peter Wiley
Ross Stevens Crystal Ptacek
Jeff Werner Liz Russell
Ann Mallek
Board of Supervisors liaison
Jennie More
Planning Commission liaison
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

USEFUL LINKS & RESOURCES
Federal & State Rehabilitation Tax Credits
Historic Preservation Plan 
Historic Preservation Tax Credits / Request for Information
Ed Lay's The Architecture of Jefferson Country
The Archaeology of Albemarle County by Jeffrey Hantman 
From the Monacans to Monticello and Beyond: Prehistoric and Historic Countexts for Albemarle County, Virginia 
Historic Architectural Survey of Albemarle County Villages 

Gale Hill, Albemarle County, Virginia

Gale Hill was built in two phases.  The original part of Gale Hill was built by James Minor and Mary Carr Minor in 1775.  Dabney Minor inherited Gale Hill from his parents upon their deaths.  He sold the property to his brother, Dr. John Minor and moved to Carrsbrook. Dr. John Minor was childless and left Gale Hill to his nephew, William M. Minor (son of Dabney Minor). 

 

 

William W. Minor and his wife, Mary Waters Terrell Minor added on to Gale Hill in 1857, the second phase of construction. Gale Hill burned down in 1930.

 

The ground was terraced, well cared for and produced a great variety of vegetables and berries. It was located northeast of Proffit near the North Fork of the Rivanna River.

Photograph by Jasper Burns

This manual is designed to help current or prospective land owners assess whether a property is historic and learn more about historic buildings and properties in Albemarle County.

Questions About Historic Preservation in Albemarle?
Contact Margaret Maliszewski, Principal Planner
Department of Community Development
434-296-5832 ext. 3276